St. Paul, MN – On November 16, 2016, Twin Cities community members gathered outside Ramsey County Attorney John Choi’s office learned that Officer Jeronimo Yanez, who killed Philando Castile at a traffic stop, will be charged with second-degree manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm. As nighttime fell, hundreds hit the streets calling for “The real prosecution of Jeronimo Yanez.”yanez-jeronimo-11-16-16
The decision comes after months of community support for Castile’s family and friends, protests, a occupation of the Minnesota Governor’s mansion, and an interstate shut down police forcefully terminated.
Unicorn Riot was in the office of Ramsey County Attorney John Choi as the decision was announced to the local Twin Cities community.
Here is the video of the decision:
Here is a press release of the charges filed against Officer Yanez.11-16-16-yanez-press-release
To read the transcripts of the statement made by Attorney Choi, see here.
“Philando Castile moaned and uttered his final words, “I wasn’t reaching for it.” – John Choi, Ramsey County Atty
Ramsey County Attorney described the situation that resulted in Philando’s death and stated that Yanez shot seven shots into the vehicle Castile was in after Philando and his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds both stated he wasn’t reaching for his registered gun after telling Officer Yanez he had one.
As night fell, many gathered in St. Paul and hit the streets calling for more stringent charges against Yanez. We were live:
Unicorn Riot was live at the scene of Philando Castile killing as community members gathered at the site of the police shooting that led to the occupation of the Minnesota Governor’s house. Below is are our live video streams.
The following day we were live for a vigil at JJ Hill Montessori School, where Philando worked.
Protests ensued after the vigil, as the Twin Cities communities came together to support of Philando Castile’s friends and family.
Here is the following days of mourning, protests,and grieving for Philando Castile.
And the eventual I-94 shutdown as the community demanded justice for Philando Castile.
About a week after the I-94 shutdown, another group, this one with non-Black ‘allies’, shut down the same interstate roadway.
Officer Yanez’ first court appearance will be Friday, November 18th, at 1:30pm at the Ramsey County Law Enforcement Center. He has yet to be taken into custody for these felony charges.
The community members gathered at the announcement could be heard planning to attend Friday’s hearing to continue to support Philando Castile’s friends & family and demand justice for Castile.
To support our volunteer-operated, horizontally-organized, non-profit media collective please consider a tax-deductible donation:
Unicorn Riot coverage of Philando Castile's Killing by St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez:
- St. Anthony Police Murder Philando Castile for Reaching for his License - July 7, 2016
- Vigil for Philando Castile Brings Over 4k People – 2nd Night of Occupying Governor’s Mansion - July 8, 2016
- Protesters Blockade Interstate 94, 100+ Arrests, 20+ Cops Injured - July 9, 2016
- Justice for Philando Castile Allies Blockade I-35W Bridge - July 13, 2016
- Twin Cities Anarchist People of Color Engage Militancy Debate - July 13, 2016
- Twin Cities Community Sends Message that MN State #AintFair - September 3, 2016
- County Atty Choi Charges Officer Yanez in Shooting of Philando Castile - November 16, 2016
- No Verdict Yet In Trial of Officer Yanez for Philando Castile Murder - June 14, 2017
- Still No Verdict In Trial Of Officer Jeronimo Yanez For Philando Castile Shooting - June 15, 2017
- Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty In Trial Over Philando Castile Police Killing - June 16, 2017
- Action to ‘Drop the Charges’ on Louis Hunter - July 28, 2017
- Philando Castile’s Cousin Has Felony Riot Charges Dropped After Community Outcry - August 2, 2017
- Families of Police Victims Create Community Amidst Tragedy - March 22, 2018
- Bulletproof Warrior Training Manual Released - May 25, 2018
- Police Improperly Released Armed Men Who Antagonized Philando Castile Protest - October 22, 2018
- Emails Show St. Paul Police Targeted Protest Organizers Seeking Justice for Philando - December 10, 2018
- Vigil Marks Three Years Since Police Killed Philando Castile - July 9, 2019