Old City, Occupied East Jerusalem, Palestine – At least 153 people were hospitalized Friday after Israeli police stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. As tensions are rising, these were the first confrontations at Temple Mount since the start of Ramadan on April 2, 2022. The Palestinian Prisoners’ Club reported that 400 people were detained.
Israeli police raided Al-Aqsa Mosque early in the morning, breaking windows and using crowd control munitions like tear gas, marker rounds, and flashbangs and forcing Muslim worshippers to the ground, arresting hundreds.
Israeli forces appear to break the windows of the holy Al-Qibli Mosque during a surprise raid on Al-Aqsa early Friday morning, during which tear gas was fired and Muslim worshippers detained and apprehended inside the mosque pic.twitter.com/c1rI6ctUtj— Middle East Eye (@MiddleEastEye) April 15, 2022
The Israeli police said that around 4 a.m., “dozens of masked young men” entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque, ignited projectiles and threw stones at the Western Wall. Eyewitnesses said that Palestinians threw stones at the Israeli security forces, who responded by firing rubber bullets and stun grenades.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said that 153 wounded people were hospitalized and “dozens” were treated on site. Israeli police announced that at least three officers were wounded in the clashes, most of which stopped at noon on Friday.
Muhammad Abdo, a paramedic at Al Aqsa Mosque, told Unicorn Riot that Israeli forces shot a guard at the mosque in the eye with a rubber bullet and said that of the hundreds wounded, which included youth and elderly, many of them suffered “critical injuries.”
“There are very critical injuries, for elderly people, they are the first injuries we received. And there are also injuries to young people who were in Al-Qibli Mosque in Al-Ain, but we were not able to treat them and get them out, so the ambulance will have to take them out. There is a guard in Al-Aqsa Mosque who was shot with a rubber bullet in the eye. The injury looked really bad and he was referred to the eye hospital.”Muhammad Abdo, paramedic at Al Aqsa Mosque
Friday morning’s clashes came during a time of severe tension boiling for three weeks, with deadly violence in Israel and the occupied West Bank, coinciding with Passover and Ramadan.
Al Aqsa Mosque is located atop a hill in the Old City of Occupied East Jerusalem in the Temple Mount or Haram esh-Sharif (Ar: الحرم الشريف). The Temple Mount also is considered the most revered location in Judaism. Over the years, tensions and clashes between the Israeli police and Palestinians around Temple Mount have been constant.
An axis of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Temple Mount houses significant religious holy sites for Judaism, Islam, and Christianity, including the Dome of the Rock, Al Aqsa Mosque, and the Western Wall. It is considered the most revered site in Judaism, and the third-most revered site in Sunni Islam.
The Old City of East Jerusalem has been occupied by Israel since 1967, although Muslims have historically managed the site since Saladin captured Jerusalem in 1187. Currently the site is managed by the Jerusalem Waqf Council, the latest iteration of a centuries-long series of religious trusts, funded by the neighboring Kingdom of Jordan. The Waqf’s photographer, Rami Khatib, was seriously injured by Israeli police on Friday and removed on a stretcher.
The Temple Mount clashes are the first since the start of this year’s Ramadan, a time when Muslims gather at the contested site.
During the month of Ramadan last year (2021), night demonstrations in Jerusalem and clashes in the Al-Aqsa courtyard later turned into an 11-day war between the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), which controls the Gaza Strip, and Israel.
Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid said Friday’s “riots” were “unacceptable.”
“The coincidence of the Jewish Passover, the month of Ramadan and the Christian Easter symbolizes what we have in common. We must not allow anyone to turn these sacred occasions into a platform for hatred, incitement and violence.”Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid
The United Nations Special Envoy to the Middle East, Tor Veniseland, called on “officials on both sides to de-escalate the situation and prevent new provocations from radical circles.” There are long-standing concerns that Israeli hardliners and some American Christians aim to destroy the Muslim sites and rebuild a temple there, which would risk a larger religious conflict across the region.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022