Masafer Yatta, Palestine – Ruling on a decades-long case, the Israeli Supreme Court decided in May to authorize the expulsion of an estimated 1,200 Palestinians from the Masafer Yatta area. According to Israeli non-governmental organization Breaking the Silence, the court’s decision amounted to a green light for “the largest population transfer in the history of the occupation since the early 1970s.” Protests in the region of the South Hebron Hills in the Occupied West Bank in response to the ruling and the subsequent demolitions of homes and villages have been ongoing, even as Israeli forces work to suppress them.
The ruling upholds the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) labeling of the Masafer Yatta region as a “firing zone” and military training area “918.” The area was originally seized by Israeli forces after the 1967 six-day war and declared a military training zone in the early 1980s. Since then, the Israeli state has forcibly evacuated residents and supporters whenever they decide to conduct “military exercises.”
A document from the early 80s reveals statements from then-Minister of Agriculture Ariel Sharon endorsing the spread of more military “training zones” explicitly for the purpose of containing the “spread of Arab villagers from the hills toward the desert.” Sharon would go on to become Israeli prime minister from 2001–2006.
Palestinian residents of 12 villages in Masafer Yatta filed a petition to stop the evictions, claiming they’ve lived on the land for decades and provided photographs to the court proving their presence on the land before Israel declared it a military site in 1981. Despite this and other evidence, the Israeli Supreme court claimed the presence of Palestinians on the land was only seasonal.
The court further imposed a fine of 20,000 shekels ($5,900) on each of the petitioning families in court fees.
For decades, the residents have been struggling to hold on to their land as the ever-encroaching settlement expansion continues along with Israel’s policies of annexation and apartheid. Dozens of activists practicing civil disobedience while protesting the Israeli military and settlement expansion in Masafer Yatta have recently been tear gassed and beaten.
Israeli forces tear gassed and fired stun grenades at dozens of protesters on May 20 in Masafer Yatta. During the protest, Younes Arar, the Director of Hebron section of the Colonization and Wall Resistance Committee of the Palestinian Liberation Organization—a grassroots extension of the Palestinian Ministry on the Wall and Settlements Affairs—said the Israeli occupation forces “want to separate this side of the State of Palestine from its eastern borders for the settlement project.”
Arar said that Israel is “transforming the West Bank into separate squares” to prevent an independent Palestinian state.
“The occupation wants to destroy the dream of an independent Palestinian state.”Younes Arar, member of the Committee to Resist the Wall and Settlements
A month later, on June 22, a number of international solidarity activists and Palestinians confronted Israeli military as training exercises were happening.
Ratib Jabour, the coordinator of the National Committee for the Resistance of the Apartheid Wall and Settlements south of Hebron, stated that Israeli forces deployed models of fake targets among the homes of citizens, and carried out training operations with heavy weapons, sparking a state of fear and panic among children and the elderly.
“We came here as activists to reject this scheme,” during the June 22 protest at Masafer Yatta, we heard from Palestinian social worker and highly respected West Bank activist Munthir Amira.
“This is part of the steps taken by the occupation forces in order to isolate and disperse the population and empty this area of the Palestinians.”Munthir Amira, Palestinian social worker and activist coordinator of the National Committee for the Resistance of the Apartheid Wall and Settlements
The occupation army remained consistent on June 22, 2022 and forcibly evacuated anyone who was still present in the area, including protesters and residents.
Despite the constant suppression by Israeli forces, Amira said: “We will continue our activities and we will stop these exercises and we will enter this area, despite all the announcements of the occupation and its threats to the residents and activists.”
For more from Palestine, see below.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022