Occupied West Bank, Palestine – A day after a ceasefire ended Israel’s deadly Operation Breaking Dawn on August 7, Israeli forces conducted a raid on Nablus using missiles and heavy weaponry to target a house where Ibrahim al-Nabulsi, the commander of Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades, was holed up in. The raid eventually killed him and two others.
In the first 250 days of 2022, Israeli forces have conducted at least 2,200 raids in the occupied West Bank and have killed at least 140 Palestinians, while injuring nearly 7,000. This report features videos from the funeral of al-Nabulsi and a funeral of a different young man who was killed during a separate raid in Halhul.
Al-Nabulsi aka the ‘Lion of Nablus’ was an armed 18-year-old known to some Palestinians as a freedom and resistance fighter, but deemed a terrorist by the Israeli government. Israeli forces had unsuccessfully attempted to kill him in February and in July, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.
Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many – July 25, 2022
He continued to openly evade capture for nearly a year until August 9 when al-Nabulsi was pronounced dead in the hospital an hour after being removed from a bombed-out home.
Bilal Muhammad, an eyewitness, said Israeli forces “sabotaged everything” by blowing up all the cars in their path. Sixteen-year-old Hussein Taha and Islam Sabbouh were also killed during the raid and at least 40 others were injured.
Al-Nabulsi was born into a generation whose peers are being killed by Israel’s occupation forces at an exponential rate — at least 86 Palestinian children were killed in 2021.
Over the years, Nabulsi rose in popularity among Palestinians, becoming somewhat of a legend in the streets. While the Israeli forces were on the hunt for him during the last year of his life, Nabulsi was reported to have been seen walking through Nablus regularly and treated as a celebrity by the residents.
“I love you so much. If I am martyred, guys, I love my mother. Take care of the homeland after I’m gone, and my final will to you, on your honor: don’t let go of the rifle — on your honor. I’m surrounded, and I am going towards my martyrdom. Pray for me.”Voice message reportedly from Ibrahim al-Nabulsi shortly before he was killed
A large funeral procession was held for al-Nabulsi, Taha and Sabbouh, and was led by fighters from the military wings of the Palestinian factions who shot bursts of automatic gunfire into the air in an act of mourning.
Palestinian Father of Two Leaving Work Killed by Israeli Sniper
In one of the thousands of deadly Israeli raids this year, Mahmoud Fayez Abu Ayhour (27), was fatally shot in his abdomen with a sniper’s bullet which pierced his diaphragm and aorta. His family said that he had just left work and was on the way to take his daughter to the doctor when Israeli forces killed him. Israel was conducting a raid on July 9 in the town of Halhul, north of Hebron in the occupied West Bank.
Seven others were injured with live bullets, while two others were shot in the face with rubber coated steel bullets by Israeli forces.
Israel said the target of the 10:30 a.m. raid in the city center was a money exchange allegedly funding Hamas, which they then forced the business to close. The Israeli army admitted it used live fire and said it was because “Palestinians threw stones, explosive devices, and Molotov cocktails at Israeli troops.”
Ayhour was married with two children, one born less than a month prior to the raid. A large funeral procession took place in Hebron where residents carried Ayhour’s Palestinian flag-wrapped body to the mosque.
Niko Georgiades of Unicorn Riot contributed to this report.
For more from Palestine, see below.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022