St. Anthony Police Murder Philando Castile for Reaching for his License
Falcon Heights, MN – During the evening of July 6, 2016, officers in Falcon Heights killed 32 year old Philando Castile as he was reaching for his license. It is believed a St. Anthony police officer committed this shooting, according to national media reports.
Unicorn Riot streamed live from the site of the killing at Larpenteur Ave. & Fry St.
By 2 o’clock in the morning of July 7th, a protest had formed in front of the Governor’s Mansion at 1006 Summit Ave. Summit was blocked and coned off at Oxford. You can view archived livestream footage from immediately after the shooting and through the first night here:
Thursday Livestream at JJ Hill school vigil: [7/7/16]
Philando was in a car with his girlfriend and 4 year old daughter. His girlfriend used Facebook live video to record what happened after he was shot. The video is now behind a Facebook content warning.
Here is the first two minutes of the video, with stabilization and enhanced edges applied by Unicorn Riot, which makes the situation more legible by simulating what is next to the frame.
They were pulled over for a “busted tail light” on Larpenteur Avenue and Fry Street in Falcon Heights, a near suburb of St. Paul.
Scene Where Philando Castile Was Murdered by Minnesota Police from Unicorn Riot.
A large crowd has gathered as of 1:30 a.m. near Larpenteur & Snelling Aves.
On Thursday evening, a vigil will be at JJ Hill Montessori Magnet School 998 Selby Ave at 5:30p.m. As of early Thursday, just before noon, protesters are at Governor’s Mansion. A Justice for Philando Castile Facebook page has been set up. A vigil has been called for Sunday afternoon at the St Paul Police Dept headquarters.
Story is developing and we are on site.
Additional video stills – strong content advisory for state violence:
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization:
Unicorn Riot coverage of Philando Castile's Killing by St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez:
- St. Anthony Police Murder Philando Castile for Reaching for his License - July 7, 2016
- Vigil for Philando Castile Brings Over 4k People – 2nd Night of Occupying Governor’s Mansion - July 8, 2016
- Protesters Blockade Interstate 94, 100+ Arrests, 20+ Cops Injured - July 9, 2016
- Justice for Philando Castile Allies Blockade I-35W Bridge - July 13, 2016
- Twin Cities Anarchist People of Color Engage Militancy Debate - July 13, 2016
- Twin Cities Community Sends Message that MN State #AintFair - September 3, 2016
- County Atty Choi Charges Officer Yanez in Shooting of Philando Castile - November 16, 2016
- No Verdict Yet In Trial of Officer Yanez for Philando Castile Murder - June 14, 2017
- Still No Verdict In Trial Of Officer Jeronimo Yanez For Philando Castile Shooting - June 15, 2017
- Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty In Trial Over Philando Castile Police Killing - June 16, 2017
- Action to ‘Drop the Charges’ on Louis Hunter - July 28, 2017
- Philando Castile’s Cousin Has Felony Riot Charges Dropped After Community Outcry - August 2, 2017
- Families of Police Victims Create Community Amidst Tragedy - March 22, 2018
- Bulletproof Warrior Training Manual Released - May 25, 2018
- Police Improperly Released Armed Men Who Antagonized Philando Castile Protest - October 22, 2018
- Emails Show St. Paul Police Targeted Protest Organizers Seeking Justice for Philando - December 10, 2018
- Vigil Marks Three Years Since Police Killed Philando Castile - July 9, 2019
- Philando Castile Remembered Six Years After Being Killed by Police - August 1, 2022