Gaza City, Palestine – Unicorn Riot heard from the first Ukrainian refugee to arrive in Gaza with their spouse. Victoria Saidam is a Ukrainian pharmacist, married in her country to a medical student, Ibrahim Saidam.
As Russia’s attack on Ukraine began, Victoria fled with Ibrahim to stay with his family in the Gaza Strip. She is the first refugee from the war to reach the Gaza Strip. Ibrahim has previously survived three wars in the Gaza Strip, and now a fourth – in the Ukrainian city of Vinnytsia, about 200 kilometers southwest of Kyiv.
After walking 15 kilometers and riding in a van to escape Ukraine into Romania, Ibrahim and Victoria now live in Gaza. No missiles are in the air, but the future of the Gaza Strip is unknown, and war could break out at any moment in the Gaza Strip due to unstable political conditions in the coastal Palestinian territory, which is blockaded by the state of Israel.
Ibrahim’s future is also unknown. His flight has not ended his university studies in Ukraine, and the young couple wish for the end of the war in Ukraine so they can return again and complete their lives there.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022