Gaza City, Gaza, Palestine – A large sculpture extending 100 meters on the shore of the Gaza Sea featured the names of the 17 children killed during the most recent three-day war in Gaza. From August 5-7, Israeli forces targeted the Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement and killed at least 49 people, including the 17 children, in the Gaza Strip.
A coalition of 29 human rights, cultural, artistic, media organizations, governmental institutions called Gaza Group organized the sand sculpture titled “Occupation Kills Childhood” and launched a media campaign under this hashtag.
The names were colored in the colors of the Palestinian flag, which artists say were accompanied by the black colors of war and blood in its deep red along with the determination to continue life in its green color.
The sea shore was a witness to a number of massacres committed against innocent children. It was also a first stop for children and their families during summer and high temperatures. So, the Gaza Group saw it as the most appropriate place to erect a sculpture bearing the names of the children killed.
Mohamed Al-Hasani, the head of the Gaza Group for Culture and Media Activities, said that Israeli forces don’t “respect individual laws” and they “target Palestinian children” while stating that “the international community and the Arab world must stand up to the Israeli occupation and preserve and protect our children.”
One of the creators of the sand sculpture, artist Abdul Karim Al-Gharabli, said it took them 15 hours to finish the installation. Al-Gharabli called on the world to help “stop these criminal operations against the children, men and women of Gaza.”
Israel’s Operation Breaking Dawn was the fifth major campaign of aggression on the Gaza Strip since its siege on Gaza began sixteen years ago. Since then, hundreds of land, sea, and air incursions have occurred, amid worsening humanitarian crises over the course of the siege.
Niko Georgiades of Unicorn Riot contributed to this report.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022