Rafah, Gaza Strip, Palestine – After suffering through three days of Israeli airstrikes and assassinations, children in the Gaza Strip enjoyed the presence of clowns and puppets. Two days after a ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, dozens of neighborhood children participated in a day of joy and entertainment while standing over the rubble of destroyed houses.
“It’s an indescribable feeling for children, frankly their psychology is very destroyed.”Ahmed Jarbou, director of Alwan Entertainment Team
Activists distributed toys and gifts to children while clowns and puppets entertained them in attempts to help ease some of the psychological trauma they’ve recently been exposed to as a result of the deadly conflict in Gaza.
At least 49 Palestinians were killed in the three days of hostilities that Israel called Operation Breaking Dawn. “Many of those killed during the war were children,” said Ahmed Jarbou, the director of Alwan Entertainment Team. Children accounted for at least 17 of the 49 deaths. The death toll has risen over the past few days as some of the wounded have succumbed to their injuries.
“We are here today to help unload the psychological terror from the children,” Jarbou said. He added that their mission was to “revive them again” and to come up with ways to help children return to some form of normalcy.
“Children are terrified from the recent war on the Gaza Strip, we are trying to support them with ourselves as well as with clowns and puppets.”Ahmed Jarbou
Acting as a clown during the event, Abdel Mansour said he was happy to be with the kids and hoped they were happy with them. He continued, “No matter the war and the circumstances they went through, we came to make them happy.”
From August 5-7, Israeli airstrikes targeted leaders and sites of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) movement in the Gaza Strip. See Unicorn Riot’s full coverage, including videos, of Operation Breaking Dawn through each day, along with the celebrations after the ceasefire and the fuel reentry into Gaza.
For more from Palestine, see below.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022