Israeli forces killed Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, 51, and shot journalist Ali al-Samoudi, as they covered an Israeli raid in Jenin on May 11, 2022. A few days later, fellow journalist Shatha Hanaisheh, who was standing next to Abu Akleh when she was killed, detailed the fateful moments in a sit down interview with Unicorn Riot.
Palestinian-born journalist Shatha Hanaisheh said that being an eyewitness to the killing of Al-Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh was “the hardest thing” she’s had to live through. Abu Akleh was a veteran reporter and beloved by Palestinians across the region as well as by her colleagues.
“I was standing behind the tree, the shooting started and then Shireen fell.”
Hanaisheh described her experiences as she was with a crew of press members on assignment covering an ongoing Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin. She laid the blame for Abu Akleh’s death directly on Israeli snipers.
“The Israeli occupation says that the source of the bullets is from Palestinian fighters. This saying is completely incorrect.”
Hanaisheh said everyone in her crew was wearing protective gear, including bullet proof helmets and vests bearing the word “PRESS.” She said they deliberately shot Abu Akleh, shooting her in the head below her helmet and above her vest.
She said that Israel claiming the source of the bullets were not from Israeli forces but rather Palestinian fighters was “completely incorrect.” She said that Israeli forces “took advantage” of their arrival, waited for them to “reach an area from which it was very difficult to return” and started shooting at them without firing any warning shots.
Her colleague, Ali al-Samoudi, was shot in the shoulder and seconds later, Shireen was shot in the head. Hanaisheh said that she thought Abu Akleh had fainted and tried to get her to awaken. While hiding next to a wall and behind a tree, every time she reached out to try to get to Shireen, more shots were fired at her from Israeli forces.
“the hardest thing any human can live through, and it was the hardest thing for me.”
Eventually a young man came to help by jumping over the wall and moving Hanaisheh to safety before dragging Abu Akleh’s lifeless body away from gunfire and into a vehicle to bring to the hospital.
After Abu Akleh was killed, Israeli forces raided her family’s house and confiscated Palestinian flags demanding the family to stop playing “nationalist music.” Her body was carried through the streets of Jenin and a large billboard in the city featured a picture of her.
After a motorcade brought her to Ramallah, another funeral procession took to the streets the same day she was killed. Abu Akleh was honored with a presidential funeral. Mohammed Al-Lahham, the head of the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, said that Abu Akleh was deliberately killed to intimidate journalists from covering Israeli abuses but that they “will not be scared.”
“The decision [to kill Shireen Abu Akleh] was made to create a state of terror and intimidation for Palestinian journalists. We will not be scared. We will continue to cover.”Mohammed Al-Lahham, the head of the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate
The next day, as mourners attempted to bring her body from the French Hospital in Jerusalem, they were attacked by Israeli police who beat them with batons, kicked them and used tear gas.
Shatha Hanaisheh Interview Transcript:
“When I reached the place, I put on the helmet and bullet proof vest in the vehicle of my colleague Mujahid, because we cover the events and go out together.
Shireen came to us and we told her we are ready. After that we moved forward, and the Israeli army vehicles were in front of us.
As for me, I saw the Israeli army vehicles. I asked Mujahid if he saw them and I told him where they are.
He told me that they are in front of you. The Israeli army was in front of us, and what I saw were two vehicles that closed the street and there was another vehicle behind them.
I feel that the Israeli army took advantage of our arrival at this point. They did not shoot a warning shot, and we were in front of them on the main street.
The Israeli army waited for us to reach an area from which it was very difficult to return.
There were gunshots and after that our colleague Ali was injured and Shireen started screaming and said, “Ali got injured!” I went to help Ali and Ali withdrew from the place.
I was then standing behind the tree when the shooting started again and then Shireen fell.
Especially this scene and the thing that happened – the hardest thing any human can live through, and it was the hardest thing for me.
When Shireen fell to the ground, I didn’t understand that she was hit. And I tell you that Shireen and I were not expecting to be shot at this time.
When Shireen fell, I at first felt that she fainted. This is what crossed my mind. And when I started trying to look at her, Shireen didn’t move. At the time, I did not understand what had happened.
Every time I tried to touch her, they [Israeli forces] would shoot more and I pulled back.
There was someone who was also trying to help and I told him to go back. He jumped off the wall and came down to us. At first, the person and I tried to drag Shireen and they started shooting at us again.
He felt that the space we were in was only big enough for one person to take shelter in. So, he helped me get away from the area and after this he came back and pulled Shireen.
The Israeli occupation says that the source of the bullets is from Palestinian fighters. This saying is completely incorrect.
The wall is behind us and it is impossible for the shots to come from behind us and the occupation soldiers are in front of us.
And the main street is a very low area, it is impossible for any resistance to shoot from this place if he shoots, the Israeli soldiers will see him.
I’m, at first, a journalist and a professional if I saw the sight of gunmen shooting, why am I looking for a scene if there is a scene in front of me that I can shoot – I would take this photo.
And secondly, if we saw armed men, why am I standing in the middle?
We are used to protecting ourselves. After all, no one thinks of being safe while taking a picture more than us.”
Niko Georgiades of Unicorn Riot contributed to this report.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022