Old City, Occupied East Jerusalem, Palestine – On May, 5, 2022, heavily armed Israeli forces cracked down on Palestinians worshipping inside the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound. Dozens were injured, an ancient pulpit was damaged and the prayer area of the mosque was sealed off by Israeli forces to allow for tours of the compound by settlers during Israel’s Independence Day.
Both the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa mosque are located in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, which is considered the third holiest site in Islam and located in East Jerusalem, on internationally recognized Palestinian territories occupied by the Israeli military since 1967.
The Temple Mount or Haram esh-Sharif (Ar: الحرم الشريف), where Al-Aqsa is, also houses the Western Wall, the most revered location in Judaism, and has been a source of tension for decades.
On Thursday, the Israeli forces were clearing the site for settlers celebrating what they call Israel’s Independence Day, to take tours. Israeli police cleared Al-Aqsa of worshippers and opened it to the settlers from 7:00 to 11:00 in the morning and from 1:30 to 2:30 in the afternoon.
Israeli forces sealed off the Qibli prayer area, denying worshippers access to it and caused damage to 800-year-old Salah Al-Din Minbar (pulpit).
Dozens of Palestinian worshippers protesting what they called settler intrusions were injured by rubber coated steel bullets and tear gas.
This aggression comes amidst past weeks of renewed tension in the Old City and at Al-Aqsa Mosque, which underwent near daily raids by Israeli forces during the last two weeks of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.
Despite the continued crackdown on worshippers at Al-Aqsa, at least 160,000 gathered at the compound for the last Friday prayers of Ramadan last week.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022