Old City, Occupied East Jerusalem, Palestine – At least 160,000 people gathered at Al-Aqsa Mosque on April 29 to perform the last Jummah Friday prayers of Ramadan 2022. After an early morning storming of Al-Aqsa by Israeli forces left dozens injured, and despite strict security measures preventing freedom of movement and access to the mosque, masses of worshippers gathered for prayer.
After the Fajr dawn prayer on Friday morning, Israeli forces attacked worshippers, storming the mosque’s courtyard from the side of Mughrabi Gate.
The Palestine Red Crescent Society, a humanitarian organization that provides frontline medical services, said that 42 worshippers at Al-Aqsa were injured by Israeli forces shooting rubber bullets and tear gas. Red Crescent Society also confirmed that one of their medics was beat by Israeli forces who initially prevented medic crews from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque.
In the morning, Israeli forces deployed iron barriers at various alleyways of the Old City and checked the identities of the citizens entering Al-Aqsa Mosque and Old Jerusalem, preventing hundreds of citizens under 45 or those who hold permits from entering, even beating and arresting some.
At the Qalandia checkpoint, north of Occupied Jerusalem, Israeli forces assaulted a number of young men who tried to enter the city to perform prayers at Al-Aqsa, before arresting them.
Despite Israeli violence and strict measures against movement in Jerusalem, over 160,000 people reached Al-Aqsa from across occupied Palestine, West Bank, and Jerusalem to perform prayers.
Worshippers Saed Anas and Khader Berish expressed to Unicorn Riot their thoughts on the importance of Al-Aqsa and a gratefulness for being able to make the journey to pray during such a holy time and despite the Israeli measures to restrict their ability.
“Al-Aqsa Mosque is not only for Palestine, rather, it’s for the Arab and Islamic nation and the whole world.”Khader Berish, worshipper at Al-Aqsa Mosque
In the afternoon, worshippers and those gathered in the courtyard of Al-Aqsa chanted slogans like “I swear to God, the Most High, the Great, that we protect the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque.”
With temperatures topping out at 87 degrees Fahrenheit, worshippers were doused with water hoses later in the afternoon by Red Crescent members.
The Al-Aqsa Mosque, revered as one of the top holy sites in Sunni Islam, is located atop the hill on Temple Mount or Haram esh-Sharif (Ar: الحرم الشريف) in the Old City of Occupied East Jerusalem, which also houses the Western Wall, the most revered site in Judaism.
Since 1967, Israel has occupied the Old City of East Jerusalem, although Muslims have historically managed the site since Saladin captured Jerusalem in 1187. Currently the Temple Mount is managed by the Jerusalem Waqf Council, the latest iteration of a centuries-long series of religious trusts, funded by the neighboring Kingdom of Jordan.
Over the years, the Temple Mount has been a hotspot in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and for the last two weeks, Israeli forces have stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque dozens of times leading to hundreds of arrests and over 1,000 injuries. On April 14, 400 people were detained and at least 153 were injured.
Eid al-Fitr, the “festival of breaking the fast” of Ramadan 2022 is predicted to be Monday, May 2, but alters across the globe as it depends on when local religious authorities spot a new moon.
Earlier during Ramadan, Unicorn Riot published a story on clown-clad musaharati, traditional Ramadan drummers, attempting to bring joy to the children in the besieged Gaza Strip.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022