Leaked U.S. Supreme Court Abortion Draft Decision Incites Protests
Washington, D.C. – Yesterday evening, Politico published a leaked draft decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in the case they heard on December 1, 2021 concerning whether all pre-viability prohibitions on abortion are unconstitutional. The leaked draft states: “We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision . . . Roe was egregiously wrong from the start.”
Below is our on-the-ground live coverage from D.C., outside the U.S. Supreme Court:
Check out our Twitter thread from today’s events in D.C. below.
During the December 2021 hearing, Justice Sotomayor and Mississippi Solicitor General Scott G. Stewart argued back-and-forth about viability and when a fetus has the rights of personhood.
Justice Sotomayor asked Stewart a question that is at the forefront of the pro-choice movement: “So when does the life of a woman and putting her at risk enter the calculus?” (Not everyone who is able to get pregnant and has a uterus is a woman, however, Justice Sotomayor was highlighting and calling into question just whose lives the self-described ‘pro-life’ advocates are fighting to protect.)
The leak sparked pro-choice and pro-abortion rallies across the country. In our video below, we highlight Washington, D.C., Minneapolis, and Tucson.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage on Abortion and Reproductive Rights:
- Richmond Abortion Rights Rally Highlights Intersections of SCOTUS Ruling - July 29, 2022
- July 4th Abortion Protests in Washington, D.C. - July 4, 2022
- The End of Federal Abortion Protections Isn’t the End of Abortion Access - June 25, 2022
- Dozens in Boulder Protest Christian Nationalist Group and its Spreading of Extremism - June 23, 2022
- Leaked U.S. Supreme Court Abortion Draft Decision Incites Protests - May 3, 2022
- A Fight to Defend Abortion in Brooklyn: Clinic Defense and New York City for Abortion Rights - April 9, 2022
- Freedom of Choice Under Fire in Ohio - Jan. 5, 2022
- “Abortion is Sacred:” The Past and Present of Reproductive Rights - Oct. 14, 2021
- Patients Face Daily Harassment Outside Planned Parenthood in Denver - Nov. 10, 2018
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, Mastodon and Patreon.