Gaza Strip, Palestine – A growing number of families in the densely populated and besieged Gaza Strip are living in squatted sections of cemeteries due to the lack of housing.
One of the many families staying in the Sheikh Saban cemetery, the oldest in Gaza, is the family of Mrs. Kamilia Kuhail. Kuhail’s husband built the squat on the eastern side of the cemetery on top of the graves of two unknown persons.
“What I can say? The means of life are cut off from their foundations here. As they say, living among the dead, as you can see we are buried alive.”Kamilia Kuhail, living in Sheikh Saban cemetery with her children
The Gaza Strip, roughly 140 square miles off the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, and bordered by Israel and Egypt, is the smaller of two occupied Palestinian territories. Gaza is one of the mostly densely populated places in the world and has been under a land, air, and sea blockade imposed by the occupying Israeli forces since 2007.
Beyond being under siege, Gaza has seen four wars in the last decades which have resulted in the deaths of nearly 4,000 people, many of them children and has borne the brunt of countless bombing campaigns by high powered Israeli weaponry.
Last year, nearly 50 Palestinians were killed in three days of Israeli airstrikes on Gaza targeting Palestinian militants seeking freedom from occupation.
The wars heavily impact people’s living conditions and for those already living at the cemetery, the war exacerbates the “state of terror” that Kuhail’s children live in.
“Regarding the war, we feel fear and terror and the children feel very afraid and our house is not completely built as you can see. And when a war occurs, the fragments and shrapnel reach here and above the house and the sounds of explosions leave the children feeling very frightened, living in a state of terror.”Kamilia Kuhail
The suffering of the living has reached the dead, as many graves and final resting places are under pressure from families of squatters and an increasing number of those who have nowhere else to go.
Kamilia Kuhail says that living in the cemetery “is very difficult” and “very dangerous. Here there are snakes, scorpions, dogs, and children at night are afraid of these things.”
With a growing youth population, a lack of building materials from the blockade, and a lack of funding, housing in Gaza is scarce and the need is high. There is also a fierce competition for real estate in Gaza, with increasing demand for housing and agricultural land to provide food for the growing population who needs 14,000 new housing units annually, according to the Deputy Minister of Housing in Gaza,
“My daughter studies in the cemetery, and children live all their lives among cemeteries now, playing and studying. I teach them among the tombs, we spread here and I teach them. And as you see children playing on the graves, this is their own park.”Kamilia Kuhail
Land needs for the dead is also on the rise in the Strip as the Waqf Ministry closed at least 24 cemeteries last year after they reached their maximum capacity.
For more from Palestine, see our archives here or click on stories in the list below.
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization:
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022