Silwan, Occupied East Jerusalem, Palestine – Large murals of eyes, faces and flowers have been painted on the walls of dilapidated hillside homes and easily visible to Jewish settlements with intent to draw attention to the displacement of Palestinians.
Painted in the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan by the international public art project I Witness Silwan, the murals not only feature the eyes and faces of Palestinians but also Americans George Floyd and Alex Nieto, who were killed by police and Rachel Corrie, who was killed by Israeli Defense Forces in Gaza in 2003.
“These eyes are the idea that there are eyes to witness the crimes committed by the Israeli army.”Manar Shreiteh, Project Manager of I Witness Silwan
Madaa Silwan Creative Center has worked with international artists since 2015 to create and maintain a total of over 2,000 feet of paintings and graffiti in Silwan. Project Manager Manar Shreiteh and American artist Leora Rozner spoke with Unicorn Riot as they painted on a beautiful August afternoon.
Shreiteh said the eyes are “for Palestinian personalities and international figures such as activists and philosophers, and for people who struggled and rose for freedom.” Rozner added they’re representing those who fight for the “liberation of all oppressed peoples.”
Along with the images of people are goldfinches, the Palestinian national bird, and Palestinian roses.
“These eyes represent the faces of many people in Palestine and also throughout the world to represent figures in the fight for human rights and the liberation for all oppressed peoples.”Leora Rozner, American muralist with I Witness Silwan
Organizers of the art project say they’re aiming to counter the rise in Israeli settler groups. Near the Old City of Jerusalem, Palestinians in Silwan face daily house raids, home demolitions, arrest and threats of eviction. Residents say Israeli forces and settlers are working to drive them out of the city. Israeli policy for decades in Jerusalem has been to Judaize the city to make way for Israeli settlers.
Shreiteh said at the time of the interview that there were “more than 87 homes threatened with eviction” in the Batn al-Hawa neighborhood alone.
Demolitions in Silwan
Nearly 60,000 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel since they started their occupation of Palestinian lands in 1967 according to the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions. The number one reason given for demolition of homes that Palestinian families have resided in for centuries is the lack of an Israeli building permit.
Although land usage regulations go back to the British Mandate over Palestine, Israel’s Planning and Building Law was amended in 2017. Known as the Kaminitz Law, the amendment has fast-tracked the demolition of Palestinian homes.
“When we passed the Kaminitz Law, the goal was to toughen the enforcement over illegal construction mainly in the Arab sector.”Former justice minister Ayelet Shaked, 2019
Palestinian residents in Silwan have not been able to obtain a single permit in 10 years in Silwan after 13,000 applications. All the while, activists say, there are over 7,800 administrative and judicial demolition orders, meaning that more than 40% of the homes are threatened with demolition. At the same time, settlers are continuing to build extensively.
At least 13 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israeli authorities in Silwan in the first nine months of 2022, leaving 61 people displaced, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
One of the homes demolished this past May was the home of the Al-Rajabi family, a large structure with five apartments housing more than 30 residents (featured in the video above). Despite paying 50,000 shekels [$14,470], the home was demolished after years of refusals by Israeli courts to license the building, said the owner Faris Al-Rajabi.
Since 2009, the OCHA reports that over 13,000 people have been displaced, 160,735 people have been affected and over 8,800 structures demolished by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank.
As they did during the eviction and demolition of the Al-Rajabi home, police regularly assault residents and press attempting to film Israeli forces during demolitions.
An emotional homeowner Faris Al-Rajabi said five families with children and married couples were thrown to the street because of the “systemic policy inside Jerusalem. We have applied for home licensing many times but they refused every time.”
For more from Palestine, see below.
Unicorn Riot's Coverage from Palestine:
- Repurposed Rubber: Tire Recycling in the Gaza Strip - August 25, 2023
- Bombed Houses in Gaza Transformed by Palestinian Calligraphy Artist - August 14, 2023
- Gazans Flock to Beaches Amid Record Breaking Heatwave - August 4, 2023
- 17 Palestinians Killed During Massive Israeli Raids on Jenin - July 7, 2023
- Israeli Operation in Gaza Destroyed 243 Homes, Killing 34 Palestinians - June 30, 2023
- Israel Blows Up Home of Palestinian Prisoner’s Family - June 13, 2023
- Palestinian Khader Adnan Dies on Hunger Strike in Israeli Prison - May 27, 2023
- Christian Gives Water, Dates to Fasting Muslims in Gaza During Ramadan - April 19, 2023
- ‘Colorful Neighborhood’ in Gaza Celebrates Ramadan with Vibrant Colors - April 16, 2023
- Administrative Detention and ‘Medical Neglect’ in Israeli Prisons Lead to Deaths and Protests - March 29, 2023
- Israeli Forces Kill 11 Palestinians and Shoot Over 100 During Raid on Nablus - March 2, 2023
- Families in Gaza Live Among the Dead - February 10, 2023
- Elderly Woman Among at Least 9 Palestinians Killed During Raid on Jenin - January 26, 2023
- Ancient Antiquities Discovered in Palestine’s Gaza Strip - January 23, 2023
- Surfing Santas in Gaza Welcome a New Year of ‘Prosperity and Happiness’ - January 4, 2023
- Palestinian Lands Seized for Israeli Military and Colony Settlements - December 14, 2022
- Gaza Flooded Due to Old Infrastructure From Israeli Blockade and Bombings - November 22, 2022
- Nablus Siege Lifted After 3+ Weeks of Collective Punishment - November 10, 2022
- Attacks and Collective Punishment, a Cycle of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict - October 18, 2022
- Murals of Eyes in Silwan Remind Jerusalem of Palestinian Struggle - October 1, 2022
- Protests in Besieged Palestinian Village Nabi Samuel Suppressed - September 25, 2022
- Over 2,200 Israeli Raids Killed 140 Palestinians Thus Far in 2022 - September 13, 2022
- Sand Sculpture on Shore of Gaza Sea Tributes Children Killed by Israeli Forces - August 31, 2022
- Clowns Visit Children in Gaza Amidst Rubble of Destroyed Houses - August 12, 2022
- Operation Breaking Dawn: Israel Kills 44 Palestinians Over Three Days - August 9, 2022
- Occupation Forces Repress Palestinians Fighting Land Grabs in the Northwestern West Bank - June 29, 2022
- Israeli Raid on Nablus Kills Two Palestinians and Wounds Many - July 25, 2022
- Palestinians Speak Out During Biden’s Visit - July 21, 2022
- Israeli Forces Suppress Protests After Court Green Lights Demolitions in Masafer Yatta - June 30, 2022
- Israeli Forces Raid Jenin, Kill Three Palestinians, Wound 10 - June 18, 2022
- Israeli Forces Assault Mourners of Young Man Dead After Israeli Attack on Al-Aqsa - June 16, 2022
- Israeli Settlers Celebrate Capturing Jerusalem, Police Arrest Palestinians - June 11, 2022
- Palestinian Investigation Finds Israel Responsible for Killing Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - June 7, 2022
- Israel Kills 4 Palestinians in 48 Hours and Blows Up a Home - June 3, 2022
- Eyewitness Recounts Moments Israeli Forces Killed Shireen Abu Akleh - May 24, 2022
- Israeli Police Attack Funeral Procession of Palestinian-American Journalist - May 21, 2022
- Demonstrations in West Bank for Palestinian Prisoner’s Day and Jenin Camp - May 17, 2022
- Israeli Army Kills Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh - May 11, 2022
- Israeli Forces Clear Al-Aqsa for Settlers’ Tours - May 6, 2022
- Palestinians Killed While Resisting Israeli Forces in Silwad Led to More Protests - May 1, 2022
- Last Friday Prayer of Ramadan at Al-Aqsa Draws 160K Despite Strict Measures by Israeli Forces - April 30, 2022
- Man Shot by Israeli Forces During Land Day Demonstration - April 27, 2022
- Musaharati Dressed as Clowns Wake Up Citizens in Gaza Strip for Meal Before Ramadan Fast - April 25, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Hit Gaza, Iron Dome Explodes Missiles - April 22, 2022
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Gaza - April 19, 2022
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Stormed: Israeli Police Detain 400, Injure 153 - April 15, 2022
- Israeli Raids on Jenin Refugee Camp Leave Many Dead, Dozens Shot - April 15, 2022
- Palestinian Protesters Fight Occupation on Mount Sabih, Nablus - April 15, 2022
- Interview: First Ukrainian Refugee Arrives in Gaza Strip - April 14, 2022
- Palestinians Commemorate Land Day with Demos in Negev & Gaza - April 12, 2022
- Israeli Forces Stifle Religious Freedoms During Ramadan - April 5, 2022
- Palestinians Prevented from Reaching Confiscated Lands in Qusra, Gassed by Occupation Forces - March 31, 2022
- Palestinians Protest Israeli Colony Outposts in Northern West Bank - March 22, 2022