Unicorn Riot is publishing an exclusive 5-episode series bringing front line perspectives from the historic George Floyd uprising in Minneapolis in 2020.
Waves of rage tore through the Twin Cities after Minneapolis police officers mercilessly killed George Floyd, a 46-year-old father of five and security guard on Memorial Day 2020. The historic uprising that followed the murder saw the besiegement of the Minneapolis police’s 3rd Precinct by thousands of community members after days of unrest.
Within days of George Floyd’s death, Derek Chauvin had been arrested. However, the community demanded the arrest of all the officers involved, leading to another week of continued unrest until the other officers had also been charged and arrested. Now, all four officers involved in the killing are out of jail and awaiting their March 2021 trial.
From in front of the 3rd Precinct and beyond, Unicorn Riot extensively documented the uprising.
Episode 1 is a highlight from Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Day 1 of the uprising, May 26, 2020. Episode 1 is filmed and narrated by Niko Georgiades, and co-produced by Georgiades and Georgia Fort with music by Stony Wellz.
Episode 2 features events that took place in Minneapolis during the evening of May 27 and early morning of May 28, 2020. With an up-close view of the crowd control tactics used by police to hearing from community members in front of burning buildings, Episode 2 takes you into the fiery night before the final besiegement of the 3rd Precinct. The episode was filmed and narrated by Georgiades who co-produced the production with Georgia Fort.
Episode 3 Part 1 features the jarring moments that led up to the besiegement of the 3rd Precinct in Minneapolis, where Derek Chauvin was previously employed. May 28, the third day of the uprising, was the most significant as the community continued directing its outrage at the 3rd precinct leading to it being ransacked and set on fire, something that has historically never been done in response to racial injustice. The next day, Derek Chauvin was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. Ep. 3 Pt. 1 has footage filmed by Unicorn Riot members Jenn Schreiter and Niko Georgiades along with footage provided by Sophia Narwitz. The episode is narrated by Georgiades and co-produced by Georgia Fort with music by Stony Wellz.
Episode 3 Part 2 features interviews with three of George Floyd’s friends and brings perspectives from people on the frontlines describing what they saw during and after the besieging of the 3rd Precinct in Minneapolis on May 28, the third night of the George Floyd Uprising.
Footage in Ep. 3 Pt. 2 is from Teddy Grimes/Extensive Knowledge Productions and Unicorn Riot’s Georgiades and Jenn Schreiter. Narration by Georgiades, who co-produced the episode along with Georgia Fort. Music from Stony Wellz.
More Reporters Reflections coming soon.
Watch our mini-documentary, ‘Beyond the Barricades: A Look At George Floyd Square‘ below.
Unicorn Riot’s George Floyd Coverage:
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization:
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Beyond the Barricades: A Look At George Floyd Square [Mini-Doc - March 2021]
- Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Sentenced to 22.5 Years for George Floyd Murder - June 25, 2021
- Community Gathers at George Floyd Square After City Removes Concrete Barriers - June 3, 2021
- The State’s Conviction of Chauvin Upholds the System’s ‘Innocence’ - April 25, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty in Murder of George Floyd - April 22, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial Coverage Landing Page - 2021
- George Floyd Square Celebrates Malcolm X - March 2, 2021
- Jay Kolls: False Reporting From George Floyd Square to D.C. - January 23, 2021
- Minneapolis Police Violently Assault Man Yards From George Floyd Memorial - December 23, 2020
- Behind the Law Enforcement Response to the George Floyd Uprising – Pt 1: Munitions Delivery - December 3, 2020
- Pawn Shop Owner Faces No Charges in Killing Man, State Blames Protesters - November 8, 2020
- Feds Leverage Civil Disorder Charge Against George Floyd Protester - November 1, 2020
- Minneapolis Protest Art Collection Becomes Largest of its Kind - October 28, 2020
- Chauvin Has 3rd Degree Murder Charge Dropped, 2nd Degree Charges Upheld - October 23, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail - October 7, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street" – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020