Burning Country – Leila Al-Shami and Robin Yassin-Kassab
The Syrian Revolution: Geopolitics of Death, Politics of Life – Yussif Munir
Assad or We Burn the Country – Sam Dagher
The Legacy of Omar Aziz – Leila Al-Shami
Erasing people through disinformation: Syria and the “anti-imperialism” of fools – Yassin Al-Haj Saleh
Pedagogies of Liberation, Gender and the Syrian Revolution (with Banah Ghadbian) – The Fire These Times
Ayman Makarem is a Lebanese writer primarily interested in the intersection of the personal and the political.
Hisham Rifai is a Lebanese artist and illustrator. He is currently based in Antwerp, Belgium completing an advanced master’s in research in arts and design. His work aims to combine political urgency with artistic practices.
About this Comic Series:
Revolution in every country (ثورة بكل البلدان) is the name of a chant that was sung during the Lebanese uprisings in 2019. It was a chant of solidarity with communities in the SWANA region (South West Asian/ North African) and around the globe that were/are resisting their own oppressive regimes. The chant was rooted in the understanding that we, as people with revolutionary demands, have so much to learn from different revolutionary struggles, especially those happening concurrently: whether it’s learning how to build strong communities or learning how to turn off tear gas.
This comics series will cover inspiring revolutionary movements, events, ideas, and the frontline communities that are almost always erased in macro-level geo-political analyses. The comics will be both educational and accessible, and each comic will also be accompanied by a list of relevant books, podcasts, and/or documentaries on the topics discussed.
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization:
Unicorn Riot original reporting on Syria:
- International Volunteers of the Rojava Revolution - DOCUMENTARY FILM - (2019)
- Looking Beyond the Rubble: Aiding the Kurds After the Syria, Türkiye Earthquake (April 25, 2023)
- Revolution in Every Country Comic Series: Episode 1 – Syria: Erasing an Inconvenient Revolution (June 5, 2022)
- Origins of the PKK and the ‘Rojava’ Revolution: Part II (September 18, 2021)
- Origins of the PKK and the ‘Rojava’ Revolution: PT. I (August 3, 2021)
- Building Autonomy Through Ecology in Rojava (February 28, 2018)
- Kurdish Fighters Defend Afrin From Turkish Military Invasion in Northern Syria (January 25, 2018)
- Kobane Rebuilds as ISIL Control Diminishes in Syria (December 27, 2017)
- As Course of War Turns, Turkey Challenges Democratic Federation of Northern Syria (Rojava) (October 30, 2017)
- Solecast #20 Rojava Special w/ Janet Biehl (January 9, 2016)
- Pipeline Politics in the Syrian Civil War (September 20, 2015)
- Youth Press Conference Bombed in Turkey - Deprogram Ep. 12 (July 23, 2015)