Minneapolis, MN – The funeral for 22-year-old Amir Locke was held two weeks after he was killed by Minneapolis Police Officer Mark Hanneman during the execution of a no-knock warrant. Elected officials and a high-profile reverend joined hundreds at Shiloh Temple International Ministries in North Minneapolis on February 17, 2022 to pay their respects to the deceased.
Below is a brief look at a few of the participants and speakers during the funeral.
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter were in attendance. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, and Amelia Huffman, the Interim Police Chief of the Minneapolis Police Department, were not invited.
Among the speakers were Amir Locke’s parents, Karen Wells and Andre Locke Jr. (pictured speaking in cover image), and his uncle Andrew Tyler.
Reverend Al Sharpton and civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who is now representing Locke’s family, spoke.
Two family members of George Floyd’s were in attendance – Floyd’s brother Philonise Floyd and his nephew Brandon Williams. The musical ensemble Sounds of Blackness, which features Amir Locke’s cousin Nneka Constantino, performed during the funeral.
Photos and alt-text contributed by Chris Juhn.
Coverage of MPD Killing Amir Locke:
- No Charges for Minneapolis Cop in Amir Locke Killing - April 6, 2022
- Autonomous March for Amir Locke Marked One Month Since Locke Was Killed by Police - April 3, 2022
- Killed by Police, Amir Locke’s Funeral Draws Hundreds [Photos] - February 22, 2022
- Autonomous March for Amir Locke Protests 5th Police Precinct and Uptown Minneapolis - February 22, 2022
- Protest at POST Board Demands Justice for Amir Locke - February 16, 2022
- Hundreds March to Building Where Police Killed Amir Locke - February 11, 2022
- Amir Locke Killing Draws Thousands Downtown, Presser Disruptions, and Protest Outside Police Chief’s Home - February 8, 2022
- Judge Cahill’s No-Knock Warrant Led to MPD Execution of Amir Locke - February 8, 2022
- SWAT Officers Involved in Locke Killing Have Violent, Checkered Past - February 5, 2022
- Amir Locke’s Killer Gave Illicit Drugs to Protesters in 2012 Scandal - February 5, 2022
- Body Camera Footage Released in Amir Locke’s Killing - February 4, 2022
- Minnesota Police Kill Man in Minneapolis Apartment, Making Three Victims in 66 Days - February 3, 2022