Cloquet, MN – Unicorn Riot was live from a rally in below freezing temperatures against Enbridge’s Line 3 pipe yards in northern Minnesota on Monday, December 11, which local indigenous-led resistance is claiming are illegal.
Watch our live coverage of the event below:
Most or all of the pipe has already been purchased by Enbridge from the dead Sandpiper pipeline project, and is presently being stored in multiple pipe yards spread out over 1854 and 1855 treaty areas.
The Line 3 project, which would cut through dozens of wild rice growing areas used by indigenous Anishinaabe people, has not yet had completed any environmental review of the project, leading opponents of the pipeline to protest that Enbridge is storing its pipe without valid permits.
Those in opposition to the proposed Enbridge project assert that three sets of state laws have been violated: the 2013 Construction Stormwater General Permit; the Minnesota Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), which mandates the completion of environmental reviews; and Minnesota Administrative Rules 4410.0200 and 4410.3100.
Without a completed environmental review, any Construction Stormwater Permits issued to Enbridge by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) would be invalid, per the MEPA. Additionally, MPCA attorney Jean Coleman is quoted as saying “It is both the law, and agency [MPCA] practice, that permits are not issued for projects or activities prior to the completion of environmental review” in a pamphlet issued by Makwa Initiative water protectors pamphlet.
During the event on Monday, over a hundred people marched from Enbridge’s Line 3 pipe yard to Enbridge’s Sandpiper pipe yard.
Tara Houska spoke about the proposed Line 3 Replacement Project [L3RP]:
“It [Line 3] wants to cross through the headwaters of the Missisippi River to the shore of the shore of Lake Superior, that’s a fifth of the worlds fresh water.” – Tara Hrouska
Listen to Tara speak more in the video below:
The rally-turned-march lasted for three hours in wind chills that peaked at 0 degrees. After the crowd reached Enbridge’s Sandpiper pipe yard, Tara spoke about how the pipes for the never permitted Sandpiper were now being sold for a different pipeline in a different place.
To support our continued coverage of this and other events, please consider making a sustaining monthly donation to our all-volunteer-operated not-for-profit media collective:
Unicorn Riot's Line 3 Oil Pipeline Coverage:
- Landing Page for all Unicorn Riot Line 3 Resistance Coverage
- Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison Speech Disrupted by Water Protectors - October 8, 2021
- Over 50 Line 3 Pipeline Protesters Arrested Outside MN Governor’s Residence - September 22, 2021
- Police Break Up Ceremony and Indigenous-Led #StopLine3 Occupation - August 31, 2021
- Hundreds March from Governor Residence, Urge Chase Bank Defund Line 3 - August 31, 2021
- First Trial from Treaty People Gathering Ends in Acquittal - August 23, 2021
- Line 3 Opponent Sentenced to Thirty Days in Jail - August 19, 2021
- Enbridge Spills 10,000 Gallons of Line 3 Drilling Fluid - August 16, 2021
- Line 3 Fusion Center Data Declared Secret - August 4, 2021
- Judge Orders Sheriff to Halt Harassment of Line 3 Resistance Camp - July 24, 2021
- Water Protectors Occupy Work Sites and Lock Down to Line 3 Pipeline Construction - July 1, 2021
- Hubbard County Barricades Private Property, Imprisons Water Protectors - June 28, 2021
- Indigenous-Led Blockades Occupy Line 3 Pipeline Sites - June 10, 2021
- Rising Up to the Heat: ‘Treaty People Gathering’ Resists Line 3 Pipeline - June 7, 2021
- Activists Serve Denver Wells Fargo Eviction Notice - May 3, 2021
- Appealing Line 3 Pipeline: Supply and Demand at Root of Hearing - March 23, 2021
- Caravan Disrupts Line 3 Construction Routes, Carlton County Triggers Backlash - March 13, 2021
- Treaty Rights Asserted During Creation of White Earth Camp - March 13, 2021
- 70 Water Protectors Cited, 1 Arrested During Line 3 Commemorative Rally - March 4, 2021
- Bipod and Car Blockade Jam Up Line 3 Construction - March 2, 2021
- Three Lock Down Inside Line 3 Pipeline For 6+ Hours - Feb. 21, 2021
- Lockdown to Keep it in the Ground: Line 3 Resistance - Feb. 15, 2021
- Court of Appeals Denies Motion to Stop Line 3 - Feb. 3, 2021
- Opposition to Line 3 Mounts - Jan. 29, 2021
- Resistance to Line 3: Direct Actions Aim to Stop Construction - Jan. 11, 2021
- Enbridge Line 3 Construction Blocked by Activists in Northern Minnesota - Nov. 18, 2020
- Protests After Permits for Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved - Nov. 17, 2020
- ‘No KKKops, No Pipelines’ Banner Dropped in Minneapolis - Oct. 6, 2020
- “Divest from Climate Change!” Chase Bank Branch Protested on Opening Day - Nov. 7, 2019
- March to Protect The Sacred on Indigenous People’s Day 2019 - Oct. 14, 2019
- Hundreds Rally in Opposition to Line 3 Tar Sands Pipeline in Minnesota - Sept. 28, 2019
- Direct Action in Minnesota as Line 3 Pipeline Approval Reversed - June 3, 2019
- Multi-Agency Task Force Prepares “Rules of Engagement” For Line 3 Protests - Feb. 11, 2019
- ‘Valve Turners’ Shut Down Enbridge Oil Pipelines in Minnesota - Feb. 4, 2019
- Arts, Culture, and Hip Hop Resist Line 3 as Lawsuits Against Approval Continue - Dec. 29, 2018
- Minnesota Police Train at Military Base as Line 3 Pipeline Protests Escalate - Oct. 25, 2018
- Judge Accepts Water Protectors’ Climate Change Necessity Defense - July 18, 2018
- Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved By Minnesota Regulators - June 28, 2018
- As Line 3 Oil Pipeline Decision Looms, Indigenous Resistance Increases - June 26, 2018
- Interfaith Community Delivers Letter of Line 3 Opposition to Minnesota Government Offices - June 4, 2018
- Minnesota Public Utilities Commission Requests Line 3 Schedule Change - Jan. 10, 2018
- Rally Against Line 3 Minnesota Pipe Yards - Dec. 11, 2017
- Resistance to Line 3 Pipeline Seeks to Save Sacred Manoomin - Oct. 9, 2017
- Direct Action Ramps Up Resistance to Line 3 - Sept. 18, 2017