Duluth, MN – Hundreds are gathering today along the shores of Lake Superior. The Gichi-gami (“Lake Superior” in Ojibwe) Gathering‘s goal is to bring together opponents of the Line 3 oil pipeline to express their ongoing opposition to the tar sands pipeline project.
“If built, Line 3 would carry dirty tar sands oil through critical ecological and cultural resources including Ojibwe treaty land, wild rice lakes, and the headwaters of the Mississippi River, as well as enabling expanded development of tar sands, one of the most climate-polluting fuels on the planet.” – Gabby Brown with Sierra Club
Protests and actions have been continuous against the tar sands Line 3 pipeline as indigenous groups and allies defend native treaty rights and cultural resources. The actions have included lock-downs across the state, and a constant legal battle in the courts.
Although recently the Enbridge Line 3 tar sands pipeline has been denied a necessary water crossing permit, it is uncertain how this most recent decision will affect Enbridge’s timeline. The company already has pipe materials stored in northern Minnesota, and seems to be operating under the assumption that it will have the permits by the end of 2019 and be able to enter service by the latter half of 2020.
Continue to follow Unicorn Riot for updates on the ongoing resistance against the Enbridge tar sands project. Past Line 3 coverage:
Unicorn Riot's Line 3 Oil Pipeline Coverage:
- Direct Action Ramps Up Resistance to Line 3 - Sept. 18, 2017
- Resistance to Line 3 Pipeline Seeks to Save Sacred Manoomin - Oct. 9, 2017
- Rally Against Line 3 Minnesota Pipe Yards - Dec. 11, 2017
- Minnesota Public Utilities Commission Requests Line 3 Schedule Change - Jan. 10, 2018
- Interfaith Community Delivers Letter of Line 3 Opposition to Minnesota Government Offices - June 4, 2018
- As Line 3 Oil Pipeline Decision Looms, Indigenous Resistance Increases - June 26, 2018
- Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved By Minnesota Regulators - June 28, 2018
- Judge Accepts Water Protectors’ Climate Change Necessity Defense - July 18, 2018
- Minnesota Police Train at Military Base as Line 3 Pipeline Protests Escalate - Oct 25, 2018
- Arts, Culture, and Hip Hop Resist Line 3 as Lawsuits Against Approval Continue - Dec 29, 2018
- ‘Valve Turners’ Shut Down Enbridge Oil Pipelines in Minnesota - Feb 4, 2019
- Multi-Agency Task Force Prepares “Rules of Engagement” For Line 3 Protests - Feb 11, 2019
- Direct Action in Minnesota as Line 3 Pipeline Approval Reversed - June 3, 2019
- Hundreds Rally in Opposition to Line 3 Tar Sands Pipeline in Minnesota
- March to Protect The Sacred on Indigenous People’s Day 2019 - Oct 14, 2019
- “Divest from Climate Change!” Chase Bank Branch Protested on Opening Day - Nov 7, 2019
- Protests After Permits for Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved - Nov 17, 2020
- Enbridge Line 3 Construction Blocked by Activists in Northern Minnesota - Nov 18, 2020