St. Paul, MN – The fate of Enbridge’s Line 3 Replacement (Oil) Pipeline, North America’s largest proposed infrastructure project, will be decided this week. The decision was originally designated to be made no later than June 27th but may be be delayed further. The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has hinted at needing a couple more days to rule on the whether Enbridge can expand their capacity to bring Canadian tar sands oil through contested Ojibwe treaty lands in northern Minnesota.
Opposition to the proposed pipeline project has stayed consistent in the nearly five year process.
Last week, as public comments concluded on the 915,000 barrel oil project, the Ojibwe Warrior Society (OWS) released a statement stating their formation and intention to defend their treaty lands “by any means necessary” if the permits are granted. In a press release, OWS, with members from the Leech Lake, Red Lake and Lake Superior Band of Ojibwe, said they are “reviving ancestral warrior society tactics” to “effectively stop Line 3” and “standing to protect our waters, our women and children.”
June 22, 2018 banner drop in opposition to #Enbridge oil pipeline #Line3 spotted on Bloomington Ave & E Lake St in #Minneapolis. A decision over the pipeline project’s fate is expected later this week in #Minnesota. Follow https://t.co/4dZ6pI4Owr for updates. pic.twitter.com/Px2lshcb0H
— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) June 25, 2018
On June 19, 2018, Chairman Jackson from the Leech lake Band Ojibwe restated their opposition in a press statement which ended with,
Our land, our water, the manoomin (wild rice), and our Tribal Sovereignty are more important than any pipeline. NO LINE 3 THROUGH MANOOMIN STRONGHOLD.
Protests calling for a stop to Line 3 project have gone on for years throughout the state of Minnesota and have recently included an action at the capital on June 4, 2018. After marching to the capital, a group of interfaith clergy delivered a letter opposed to the pipeline project to the Minnesota Governor’s office and the office of the public utilities commission. The letter was signed by 540 faith leaders.
During the fall of 2017, resistance encampments were organized in northern Minnesota, several direct actions disrupted work at construction sites in Wisconsin, and an action near Cloquet drew attention to a pipeyard where Enbridge was storing pipe as it waited for approval from the PUC.
With the regulatory ruling approaching, Enbridge has increased production of pro-pipeline media commercials featuring a Wisconsin landowner’s positive experiences with Enbridge. Local groups have also engaged local media outlets with commercials opposed to the pipeline, which include multiple Minnesota landowners speaking against the project and casting doubts on Enbridge’s safety record.
This week, the fate of the biggest oil project in North America is scheduled to be decided. Five commissioners on the public utilities commission will either grant a certificate of need, or deny the project. Stiff opposition to the permitting process has already been seen, and now the decision on whether to allow 915,000 barrels of diluted bitumen, a “heavy oil” through the wetlands and wild rice lakes of Minnesota has come due.
To help our volunteer operated, horizontally organized, non-profit media organization, please consider becoming a monthly sustainer with tax-deductible micro-donations:
Unicorn Riot's Line 3 Oil Pipeline Coverage:
- Landing Page for all Unicorn Riot Line 3 Resistance Coverage
- Water Protectors Occupy Work Sites and Lock Down to Line 3 Pipeline Construction - July 1, 2021
- Hubbard County Barricades Private Property, Imprisons Water Protectors - June 28, 2021
- Indigenous-Led Blockades Occupy Line 3 Pipeline Sites - June 10, 2021
- Rising Up to the Heat: ‘Treaty People Gathering’ Resists Line 3 Pipeline - June 7, 2021
- Activists Serve Denver Wells Fargo Eviction Notice - May 3, 2021
- Appealing Line 3 Pipeline: Supply and Demand at Root of Hearing - March 23, 2021
- Caravan Disrupts Line 3 Construction Routes, Carlton County Triggers Backlash - March 13, 2021
- Treaty Rights Asserted During Creation of White Earth Camp - March 13, 2021
- 70 Water Protectors Cited, 1 Arrested During Line 3 Commemorative Rally - March 4, 2021
- Bipod and Car Blockade Jam Up Line 3 Construction - March 2, 2021
- Lockdown to Keep it in the Ground: Line 3 Resistance - Feb. 15, 2021
- Court of Appeals Denies Motion to Stop Line 3 - Feb. 3, 2021
- Opposition to Line 3 Mounts - Jan. 29, 2021
- Resistance to Line 3: Direct Actions Aim to Stop Construction - Jan. 11, 2021
- Enbridge Line 3 Construction Blocked by Activists in Northern Minnesota - Nov. 18, 2020
- Protests After Permits for Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved - Nov. 17, 2020
- ‘No KKKops, No Pipelines’ Banner Dropped in Minneapolis - Oct. 6, 2020
- “Divest from Climate Change!” Chase Bank Branch Protested on Opening Day - Nov. 7, 2019
- March to Protect The Sacred on Indigenous People’s Day 2019 - Oct. 14, 2019
- Hundreds Rally in Opposition to Line 3 Tar Sands Pipeline in Minnesota - Sept. 28, 2019
- Direct Action in Minnesota as Line 3 Pipeline Approval Reversed - June 3, 2019
- Multi-Agency Task Force Prepares “Rules of Engagement” For Line 3 Protests - Feb. 11, 2019
- ‘Valve Turners’ Shut Down Enbridge Oil Pipelines in Minnesota - Feb. 4, 2019
- Arts, Culture, and Hip Hop Resist Line 3 as Lawsuits Against Approval Continue - Dec. 29, 2018
- Minnesota Police Train at Military Base as Line 3 Pipeline Protests Escalate - Oct. 25, 2018
- Judge Accepts Water Protectors’ Climate Change Necessity Defense - July 18, 2018
- Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved By Minnesota Regulators - June 28, 2018
- As Line 3 Oil Pipeline Decision Looms, Indigenous Resistance Increases - June 26, 2018
- Interfaith Community Delivers Letter of Line 3 Opposition to Minnesota Government Offices - June 4, 2018
- Minnesota Public Utilities Commission Requests Line 3 Schedule Change - Jan. 10, 2018
- Rally Against Line 3 Minnesota Pipe Yards - Dec. 11, 2017
- Resistance to Line 3 Pipeline Seeks to Save Sacred Manoomin - Oct. 9, 2017
- Direct Action Ramps Up Resistance to Line 3 - Sept. 18, 2017