Minneapolis, MN – With threat of eviction hanging overhead, today residents of the Sanctuary in Powderhorn Park are sharing their experiences being repeatedly displaced and evicted by police. See the live stream from the presser in the park below.
Established on June 10, the first Sanctuary Park tent encampment sprang into existence to serve the shelter needs of unhoused Minneapolis residents during the coronavirus pandemic. After the Hiawatha Encampment was evicted, the Sanctuary Hotel was next to follow, formerly located eight blocks north of George Floyd square.
Two weeks ago, on Monday, July 20, dozens of unhoused people were displaced and about 20 people were arrested as law enforcement executed an eviction of the eastern portion of the sanctuary park.
“This is a cycle of violent evictions,” asserts a post on the @MplsSanctuary Instagram page. Tent encampments have existed for years in Minneapolis, a city with a significant Indigenous population, which is reflected in the demographics of the unhoused. Two years ago Unicorn Riot walked through the Franklin/Hiawatha encampment, the “wall of forgotten natives,” a tent city of houseless folks, mostly of Native American heritage.
Unicorn Riot's 2020-23 Unhoused Crisis in Minneapolis:
- ‘Wall of Forgotten Natives’ Encampment Revived After Five Years, Gets Evicted - Sept. 4, 2023
- Minneapolis Continues Encampment Evictions, Displacing Hundreds in May - May 26, 2023
- Samatar Encampment Eviction Leaves 100 Displaced Mid-Winter - January 24, 2023
- Dozens of Police Evict Quarry Encampment - January 2, 2023
- Quarry Encampment Faces Eviction in Minneapolis - December 28, 2022
- Three Encampments and Halfway House Evicted, Displacing Hundreds - October 12, 2022
- Personal Belongings Trashed as Minneapolis Encampment Evicted - July 22, 2022
- Minneapolis Community Resists Encampment Eviction - July 20, 2022
- Southside Minneapolis Encampment Faces Eviction Threat - June 28, 2022
- Eviction Defense Successful Despite Aggressive Contractors - June 9, 2022
- Uptown Streets Blocked During Protest Against Police Attack on Houseless - March 23, 2021
- Five Arrested as Minneapolis Police Attempt Raid on Near North Houseless Encampment - March 23, 2021
- Homeless Tenants Union: Unhoused Self-Advocacy in the Twin Cities - February 17, 2021
- Winter of Coronavirus: Seeking Shelter in Minneapolis During COVID–19 - December 14, 2020
- Unhoused Community Forms Tenants Union, Constituents Protest at Commissioner’s Home - November 11, 2020
- Minneapolis Prioritizing Park Sweeps Over Sheltering the Unhoused - October 29, 2020
- ‘No KKKops, No Pipelines’ Banner Dropped in Minneapolis - October 6, 2020
- Reclaimed Space Sprouts From Uprising’s Embers - September 28, 2020
- Peavey Park Sanctuary Homeless Camp Evicted in Minneapolis - September 24, 2020
- New Month Brings Added Urgency To Minneapolis’ Housing Needs - September 2, 2020
- Sanctuary Camp Residents Pressured To Move, No Housing Solution In Sight - August 22, 2020
- Minneapolis Police Sweep West Powderhorn Encampment, Pepper Spray Defenders - August 15, 2020
- Authorities Visit Loring Park Tent Encampment, Bring Eviction Scare - August 10, 2020
- Minneapolis’ Unhoused Speak Out Against Years of Evictions - August 3, 2020
- Minneapolis Park Police Displace Sanctuary Encampment - July 22, 2020