Aurora, CO – As part of an international call to action by multiple coalitions of social justice and human rights groups, a vigil and march is planned for Friday, June 12, outside the GEO Group’s ICE Detention facility in Aurora.
Watch our live coverage below:
A coalition called Lights for Liberty is an author of the call-out for local organizers to plan vigils all across the world “to protest the inhumane conditions faced by migrants,” according to their website. The Close the Camps and No More Camps coalitions also co-authored the call to action.
Local groups to the Denver/Aurora area including Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition, American Friends Service Committee, and Coloradans for Immigrant Rights are helping to host the vigil and have organized speakers to shine light on what the groups describe as “horrific abuses of the Trump administration in human detention camps.”
Another local coalition has planned a march to take place before the vigil. Groups including the Boulder chapter of the International Socialist Collective, the Green Party of Colorado, and the Boulder/Denver chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace planned a peaceful march with speakers to further highlight the inhumanity and injustice they oppose.
These international vigils and actions come two days before the Trump administration plans to move forward with their “family operation,” according to two current and one former homeland security officials. The operation plans to take place in at least 10 major cities, including Denver, targeting people who have existing deportation orders.
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization:
Unicorn Riot's Coverage of the Sanctuary Movement and Immigration:
- Twin Cities Jewish Community Blockades ICE Building, 27 Cited (Aug. 2, 2019)
- Hundreds in CO Plan Rally to ‘Close the Concentration Camps’ (July 12, 2019)
- Jeanette Vizguerra’s U-Visa Denied While in Sanctuary Second Time (June 27, 2019)
- CO Community Gathers Outside GEO ICE Facility on Longest Day of Year (June 21, 2019)
- Occupy ICE Denver Camps Outside GEO ICE Detention Center (Oct. 29, 2018)
- #OccupyICE Movement Grows Momentum in Colorado (Aug. 6, 2018)
- ICE Occupation Emerges at Denver Field Office (July 30, 2018)
- Philadelphia Reduces Police Help To ICE; ‘Occupy ICE’ Camp Moves (July 30, 2018)
- Protesters Occupy Philadelphia ICE Office (July 2, 2018)
- Protests Target ICE Contractor General Dynamics (June 29, 2018)
- Ninth Annual CO Love Knows No Borders, No Walls Vigil (Feb. 5, 2018)
- November Vigil at GEO Group ICE Detention Center in CO (Nov. 6, 2017)
- Ingrid Encalada Latorre Returns to Sanctuary; Four Claim Sanctuary in CO (Oct. 27, 2017)
- Ingrid Encalada Latorre Leaves Sanctuary After Six Months; Granted Temporary Stay (May 27, 2017)
- Indonesian Undocumented Immigrant Detained at ICE Check-In (May 24, 2017)
- Jeanette Vizguerra, Among Others, Celebrate Victories Against ICE Deportation Attempts (May 17, 2017)
- Sanctuary Movement Leader, Arturo Hernandez Garcia, Detained by ICE While at Work (April 30, 2017)
- Jeanette Vizguerra Named One of Time’s 100 Most Influential People as She Remains in Sanctuary (April 22, 2017)
- Crisis: Borderlands (March 14, 2017)
- Arizona Anti-ICE Demo Meets Arrests and Chemical Agents (Feb. 17, 2017)
- Deportations Begin Under Trump’s Regime (Feb. 14, 2017)
- Love Knows No BAN No Walls Vigil at GEO ICE Detention Center (Feb. 8, 2017)