St. Paul, MN – Dozens of activists held a car demonstration outside of the Minnesota Legislative building as the House went into session on April 14. The protest was pushing for mortgage and rent payment cancellation, keeping public housing public, housing for the unhoused, and freeing the detained during the coronavirus pandemic.
The socially-distant demo was organized by United Renters for Justice – InquilinXs UnidXs por Justicia, along with the Twin Cities Democratic Socialists Alternative and their Housing Justice Branch.
In a similar action last Wednesday, hundreds rallied outside of U.S. Bank Plaza in downtown Minneapolis calling for rent and mortgage payments to be cancelled during the pandemic.
📢 As the #coronavirus pandemic continues to wreak havoc on daily life, 100+ people in #Minneapolis participated in a socially-distant car demo demanding the cancellation/freezing of all rent & mortgage payments.📢#RentFreeze #CancelRent #COVIDー19
— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) April 10, 2020
The April 14 action was the fourth car demo in the Twin Cities area since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Minnesota, three of which were documented by Unicorn Riot.
Thick flakes of snow fell on and off during the 45-minute demo in 30 degree temperatures.
Cars drove in circles on Rice St. outside of the parking lot where some Minnesota legislators were meeting on zoom from their cars to practice physical distancing.
At least two legislators came to the top of the parking ramp and waved at the protest, Rep. Heather Edelson and Rep. Hodan Hassan.
Rep. Edelson sent off a tweet showing her support of the demo (below).
The House is now in session. A protest is going on outside of the Minnesota Capitol parking ramp. Well over 40 cars honking, signs in windows and people walking out in the snow asking for rental / mortgage assistance. We see you. I agree, we must address housing. #mnleg pic.twitter.com/ryVjAdzbrW
— Rep. Heather Edelson (@heather_edelson) April 14, 2020
David Gilbert Pederson, an organizer with Minnesota Workers United, spoke positively about the action. Pederson said the warmth of the community coming together despite the bad weather helped to bring the sun out.
“So much of this is just the beautiful and beloved community that we’ve built here around workers, immigrants, housing rights, tenant rights. It’s just a beautiful thing to see.” — David Gilbert Pederson
Pederson said that protesters were “asking for a bailout for everyday people” after the government showed they can bail out big companies, corporations, and the wealthy.
“I think we’re in an incredibly turbulent time but also an incredibly exciting time to see kind of what we can do for people.“
As we sit in the middle of April, millions of people in America are bracing for not having enough money to pay their housing costs. Many more are organizing a rent strike for May 1.
Continue to follow Unicorn Riot for more coronavirus coverage.
Unicorn Riot's COVID–19 Coverage:
- The Coronavirus Crisis in Brazil – An Interview with EmiciThug - May 22, 2020
- Nurses Picket Over Lack of Protection From Ongoing Viral Pandemic - May 21, 2020
- Mutual Aid to Detained Refugee Women Grows — Coronavirus in Greece Part 3 - May 7, 2020
- Minneapolis May Day Protest Supports Essential Workers - May 2, 2020
- MN Demonstrations, Demands to Free Prisoners Escalate - April 30, 2020
- Denver ‘Clean-ups’ Displace 100+ Unhoused Residents Amid Health Crisis - April 30, 2020
- Worker-Occupied Factory Sends Soap to Refugee Camp – Coronavirus in Greece, Part 2 - April 28, 2020
- A Country Quarantined, Coronavirus in Greece Part 1 - April 25, 2020
- Who’s Calling to ‘Liberate Minnesota’, and Why? - April 21, 2020
- Living with COVID–19 - April 17, 2020
- Philly Mayor and Judges Pressured To Release Inmates From Jail - April 15, 2020
- Calls for Rent and Mortgage Freeze Outside MN Legislature - April 14, 2020
- What Is Coronavirus and How Do Humans Defeat It? - April 10, 2020
- Car Protest Demands Philadelphia Officials Release Prisoners To Save Lives In Pandemic Crisis - April 10, 2020
- ‘Cancel Rent’ Demo Calls for a Rent and Mortgage Payment Freeze as COVID-19 Spreads - April 9, 2020
- Coronavirus in the Caribbean: COVID–19 Update from Puerto Rico - April 2, 2020
- ‘Never Again’ Demo Demands Release of Detainees Amidst COVID–19 Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- South Africa Under Lockdown as COVID–19 Spreads - March 29, 2020
- Providing Mutual Aid Amidst the Coronavirus Pandemic in Minnesota’s Twin Cities - March 27, 2020
- As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Top the World Charts, Minnesotans’ “Stay at Home” Order Goes Into Effect - March 27, 2020
- “Everyone Deserves A Cost-Of-Living Adjustment”: Interview with UCSC Striker Yulia Gilich - March 26, 2020
- ‘Real boog hours’: Neo-Nazi Terror and the Coronavirus Crisis - March 20, 2020
- Coronavirus Concerns End St. Paul Educators Strike, Close Many Public Schools - March 14, 2020