In late 2019, a new strain of infectious virus was identified as having passed to humans from nonhuman animals. The first coronavirus that affects humans was discovered in 1965 and appears to date back to the 1950s. “Corona” is a reference to the club-like spikes that cover the entire surface of the virus particles, giving them a halo-like appearance visible via electron microscope.
First detected in November 2019 in the Hubei province of China, the new coronavirus infectious disease has been abbreviated COVID–19 to mark its year of discovery. Symptoms of infection include fever, cough, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, sore throat, diarrhea, and loss of sense of smell.
Unicorn Riot’s Latest Coronavirus coverage
Severe cases of COVID–19 can lead to pneumonia, multiple organ failure, and death. As of August 2020, the mortality rate is around 3.1% in the United States, based on number of diagnosed cases and total known coronavirus-related fatalities.
The likelihood of mortality in patients increases with age and the presence of other underlying conditions. It is not known how many individuals have been infected worldwide due to the general unavailability of testing.
While coronaviruses affect both birds and mammals, symptoms differ between species; in both humans and chickens, the viruses infects the respiratory tract and can cause disease. Flying animals such as birds and bats are thought to be ideal hosts and transmitters of coronaviruses.
SARS-CoV-2 is the designation of the new coronavirus, which does not always cause symptoms and can be spread to others before a person knows they are infected. As of April 2020, it is known that the virus may be contracted from close contact with someone else who is infected, or from touching a contaminated surface and then one’s face.
The severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) epidemic of the early 2000s was caused by the first-identified strain of SARS coronavirus, now called SARS-CoV-1. The rate of infections worldwide from this new coronavirus increased exponentially in 2020 from January to March, causing the World Health Organization (WHO) to classify COVID–19 as a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Unicorn Riot has been covering the spreading effects of the new coronavirus pandemic since March 2020, including socially distanced demonstrations and a live interview about living unhoused during the pandemic.
See more of our COVID–19 coverage below. Contact Unicorn Riot if you have information to share.
Unicorn Riot’s Coronavirus coverage
Unicorn Riot's COVID–19 Coverage:
- “Brazil is Asking for Help” – Artists and Activists Speak Out - April 10, 2021
- Brazilian Pandemonium: COVID-19 Kills Over 300K - March 27, 2021
- COVID-19 Deaths in Minnesota Prisons Continue to Rise - February 17, 2021
- Brazil Nears 200K Deaths as Politicians Continue to Downplay COVID-19 - December 20, 2020
- Winter of Coronavirus: Seeking Shelter in Minneapolis During COVID–19 - December 14, 2020
- Denver Sweeps 300+ Tent Encampment Residents - November 30, 2020
- Unhoused Community Forms Tenants Union, Constituents Protest at Commissioner’s Home - November 11, 2020
- Minneapolis Prioritizing Park Sweeps Over Sheltering the Unhoused - October 29, 2020
- Court Protest Aims at Boston Covid Housing Crisis - October 29, 2020
- Philly Starbucks Worker Delivers NLRB Unfair Labor Practice Complaint - October 15, 2020
- Demands Reignite for Releases from GEO ICE Jail Amid New Covid Outbreak - October 5, 2020
- Peavey Park Sanctuary Homeless Camp Evicted in Minneapolis - September 24, 2020
- New Month Brings Added Urgency To Minneapolis’ Housing Needs - September 2, 2020
- COVID–19 Testing DeMystified at Community-Informed Coronavirus Testing Site - August 29, 2020
- Sanctuary Camp Residents Pressured to Move, No Housing Solution In Sight - August 22, 2020
- Coronavirus, Corruption, and Resistance: Life Under South Africa’s Lockdown - August 17, 2020
- Authorities Visit Loring Park Tent Encampment, Bring Eviction Scare - August 10, 2020
- Minneapolis Park Police Displace Sanctuary Encampment - July 22, 2020
- Homeless Philadelphians Moving Into Vacant City-Owned Homes - June 22, 2020
- Encampment to ‘Free Them All’ Outside GEO ICE Detention Center - May 26, 2020
- The Coronavirus Crisis in Brazil – An Interview with EmiciThug - May 22, 2020
- Nurses Picket Over Lack of Protection From Ongoing Viral Pandemic - May 21, 2020
- Mutual Aid to Detained Refugee Women Grows — Coronavirus in Greece Part 3 - May 7, 2020
- Minneapolis May Day Protest Supports Essential Workers - May 2, 2020
- MN Demonstrations, Demands to Free Prisoners Escalate - April 30, 2020
- Denver ‘Clean-ups’ Displace 100+ Unhoused Residents Amid Health Crisis - April 30, 2020
- Worker-Occupied Factory Sends Soap to Refugee Camp – Coronavirus in Greece, Part 2 - April 28, 2020
- A Country Quarantined, Coronavirus in Greece Part 1 - April 25, 2020
- Who’s Calling to ‘Liberate Minnesota’, and Why? - April 21, 2020
- Living with COVID–19 - April 17, 2020
- Philly Mayor and Judges Pressured To Release Inmates From Jail - April 15, 2020
- Calls for Rent and Mortgage Freeze Outside MN Legislature - April 14, 2020
- What Is Coronavirus and How Do Humans Defeat It? - April 10, 2020
- Car Protest Demands Philadelphia Officials Release Prisoners To Save Lives In Pandemic Crisis - April 10, 2020
- ‘Cancel Rent’ Demo Calls for a Rent and Mortgage Payment Freeze as COVID-19 Spreads - April 9, 2020
- Coronavirus in the Caribbean: COVID–19 Update from Puerto Rico - April 2, 2020
- ‘Never Again’ Demo Demands Release of Detainees Amidst COVID–19 Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- South Africa Under Lockdown as COVID–19 Spreads - March 29, 2020
- Providing Mutual Aid Amidst the Coronavirus Pandemic in Minnesota’s Twin Cities - March 27, 2020
- As U.S. Coronavirus Cases Top the World Charts, Minnesotans’ “Stay at Home” Order Goes Into Effect - March 27, 2020
- “Everyone Deserves A Cost-Of-Living Adjustment”: Interview with UCSC Striker Yulia Gilich - March 26, 2020
- ‘Real boog hours’: Neo-Nazi Terror and the Coronavirus Crisis - March 20, 2020
- Coronavirus Concerns End St. Paul Educators Strike, Close Many Public Schools - March 14, 2020
- University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy – COVID–19 Maps & Visuals
- World Health Organization Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: COVID–19
- Minnesota Department of Corrections COVID–19 Updates
- Bureau of Prisons COVID–19 (Federal)
- Five Demands Global
- Mutual Aid Disaster Relief
- COVID–19 Mutual Aid Listing