Minneapolis, MN – Fireworks exploded on the roof of the Minneapolis Police (MPD) 5th Precinct on Saturday night while dozens took part in spray painting and egging the windows of the building.
After a nighttime march reached the precinct, a participant shouted into a bullhorn it was “not advisable” for the city to follow their upcoming plans of “taking down George Floyd Square“. [Click here for more details on the potential eviction of the memorial space.]
When the crowd arrived, an MPD officer at the desk inside the precinct immediately walked to the back and shut off the hallway lights. The crowd, which didn’t seem to be affiliated with any group, was outside for less than an hour before leaving.
The police didn’t respond during the time the crowd was outside.
Sunday night, a smaller crowd came back to the precinct around 10 p.m. again, this time with a grill. They made hot dogs and veggie burgers.
A surveillance camera was reportedly spray painted and metal barricades that surrounded the walkway were eventually knocked down but no projectiles were seen to be thrown at the building on Sunday night.
Nearly a dozen police cars were mobilizing a few blocks away using a street as a their staging area, but didn’t interact with the crowd. After several speeches from a bullhorn, songs played over speakers, and food, the crowd dispersed from the sidewalk outside the precinct.
These protests seem to be set to repeat regularly, apparently inspired in part by nightly protests going on in Portland, Oregon against police violence and for Black lives.
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street” – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail - October 7, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to help sustain our horizontally-organized, non-profit media organization: