Minneapolis, MN – Hundreds of young adults and teenagers marched just hours after the ex-cop charged with George Floyd’s death was released on bail.
Starting at George Floyd Memorial Square on 38th Street and Chicago Avenue at 6:30 p.m. on October 7, a fast-paced march circled streets in South Minneapolis before ending near the ‘Say Their Names’ Cemetery, two blocks from where Floyd was killed.
Unicorn Riot was live for the march (see below).
After being incarcerated for 131 days, charged with the murder of George Floyd, former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin was released from maximum security Oak Park Heights prison on a non-cash bail.
Mere hours after Chauvin’s release, youth organized hundreds to gather and protest, demanding justice for George Floyd.
Bikers from Bikers Riding Against Police Brutality (BRAPB) provided traffic security for the march; hundreds of people in dozens of cars crawled behind the march.
“I want to be a teenager, I don’t want to be out here protesting for basic human decency!” — Youth Participant
The majority of the youth participating in the march were in high school and had classes in the morning yet felt strongly about participating.
“This kind of stuff, if we weren’t so mentally strong, this breaks people. As kids, that’s mentally draining.” — Youth Participant
— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) October 8, 2020
“I’m a Black girl in America, it’s not a choice not to be active,” a 16-year-old told Unicorn Riot. She said these times are historic and she can’t sit back at home when she sees “[her] people out here just dropping.”
“They suppress Black voices, Black womxn. […] That’s why we raise a fist and fight back—because we’re tired of this shit.”
Youth speaker emphasizes that, as many have school or work tomorrow, tonight’s march is ending.
Crowd chanting, “Black Women, They Matter Here”
— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) October 8, 2020
“In an ideal world we’re able to abolish the police but until then we need a justice system that holds killer cops accountable.” — March Participant
The new generation, fed-up they can’t just enjoy their youth, has plans for change. The energy they exhibit shows no signs of losing steam. From the midst of smoke surrounding the 3rd Precinct in late May to the march on October 7, youths have been on the frontline of this renewed push for human rights and against police terror.
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Beyond the Barricades: A Look At George Floyd Square [Mini-Doc - March 2021]
- Two Years After George Floyd - May 27, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: Afro-Greeks and African Migrants Speak Out [Videos] - February 17, 2022
- Judge Cahill’s No-Knock Warrant Led to MPD Execution of Amir Locke - February 8, 2022
- Caravan for George Floyd as Federal Trial Begins for Officers Lane, Kueng, and Thao - January 22, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: The Deep Roots of Racism in Germany [Video] - October 11, 2021
- Minneapolis Pushes Activists to Their Limits - July 22, 2021
- Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Sentenced to 22.5 Years for George Floyd Murder - June 25, 2021
- Community Gathers at George Floyd Square After City Removes Concrete Barriers - June 3, 2021
- The State’s Conviction of Chauvin Upholds the System’s ‘Innocence’ - April 25, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty in Murder of George Floyd - April 22, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial Coverage Landing Page - 2021
- George Floyd Square Celebrates Malcolm X - March 2, 2021
- Jay Kolls: False Reporting From George Floyd Square to D.C. - January 23, 2021
- Minneapolis Police Violently Assault Man Yards From George Floyd Memorial - December 23, 2020
- Behind the Law Enforcement Response to the George Floyd Uprising – Pt 1: Munitions Delivery - December 3, 2020
- Pawn Shop Owner Faces No Charges in Killing Man, State Blames Protesters - November 8, 2020
- Feds Leverage Civil Disorder Charge Against George Floyd Protester - November 1, 2020
- Minneapolis Protest Art Collection Becomes Largest of its Kind - October 28, 2020
- Chauvin Has 3rd Degree Murder Charge Dropped, 2nd Degree Charges Upheld - October 23, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail, Dozens Arrested in Protest - October 7, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street" – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020