Minneapolis, MN – Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) officer charged with murdering George Floyd, was released from jail on a non-cash bond on Wednesday, October 7.
In response to expected protests over Derek Chauvin being released from jail, Minnesota’s Governor, Tim Walz, has activated the National Guard “to prepare to assist in keeping the peace“.
One hundred Guardsmen are being deployed along with one hundred Minnesota State Troopers and seventy-five Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officers.
A small protest gathered near the downtown Minneapolis jail after news of Chauvin’s release broke, and at least one person was reportedly arrested on disorderly conduct charges.
A fast paced youth-organized protest marched through south Minneapolis streets for a couple hours before dispersing near George Floyd Square.
Unicorn Riot was live for the march [Tweet thread with media.]
A portion of the protest that dispersed from the original march made their way to the Minneapolis Police 5th Precinct to voice their grievances. Authorities from the DNR and State Troopers deployed by Governor Tim Walz kettled the protest. Troopers used a Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) attached to their Mobile Response Team vehicle and made dispersal order announcements to the protest.
People realizing they were kettled, tried to leave south on Nicollet Ave. as the LRAD was announcing but many were arrested at the police line coming north on Nicollet. Two legal observers from the National Lawyer’s Guild were arrested along with dozens of others. See the stream below.
Chauvin is charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder, as well as 2nd degree manslaughter, for kneeling on George Floyd’s neck for nearly 10 minutes.
Chauvin was being detained at maximum-security Oak Park Heights prison, in Stillwater, MN before being released today. All of the former police officers arrested over Floyd’s murder have now been freed from jail and awaiting their March 2021 trial, presumably from the comfort of their homes.
Questions about the non-cash bail system and the company behind Chauvin’s bail, Allegheny Casualty Company, are lighting up social media sites.
Derek Chauvin has been ordered to have no contact with George Floyd’s family, he must stay in Minnesota unless permitted, and cannot work in law enforcement or security.
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street” – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail - October 7, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020