Minneapolis, MN – Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) officer charged with murdering George Floyd, was released from jail on a non-cash bond on Wednesday, October 7.
In response to expected protests over Derek Chauvin being released from jail, Minnesota’s Governor, Tim Walz, has activated the National Guard “to prepare to assist in keeping the peace“.
One hundred Guardsmen are being deployed along with one hundred Minnesota State Troopers and seventy-five Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officers.
A small protest gathered near the downtown Minneapolis jail after news of Chauvin’s release broke, and at least one person was reportedly arrested on disorderly conduct charges.
A fast paced youth-organized protest marched through south Minneapolis streets for a couple hours before dispersing near George Floyd Square.
Unicorn Riot was live for the march [Tweet thread with media.]
A portion of the protest that dispersed from the original march made their way to the Minneapolis Police 5th Precinct to voice their grievances. Authorities from the DNR and State Troopers deployed by Governor Tim Walz kettled the protest. Troopers used a Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) attached to their Mobile Response Team vehicle and made dispersal order announcements to the protest.
People realizing they were kettled, tried to leave south on Nicollet Ave. as the LRAD was announcing but many were arrested at the police line coming north on Nicollet. Two legal observers from the National Lawyer’s Guild were arrested along with dozens of others. See the stream below.
Chauvin is charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder, as well as 2nd degree manslaughter, for kneeling on George Floyd’s neck for nearly 10 minutes.
Chauvin was being detained at maximum-security Oak Park Heights prison, in Stillwater, MN before being released today. All of the former police officers arrested over Floyd’s murder have now been freed from jail and awaiting their March 2021 trial, presumably from the comfort of their homes.
Questions about the non-cash bail system and the company behind Chauvin’s bail, Allegheny Casualty Company, are lighting up social media sites.
Derek Chauvin has been ordered to have no contact with George Floyd’s family, he must stay in Minnesota unless permitted, and cannot work in law enforcement or security.
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Beyond the Barricades: A Look At George Floyd Square [Mini-Doc - March 2021]
- Fourth Killer of George Floyd Found Guilty - May 3, 2023
- Two Years After George Floyd - May 27, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: Afro-Greeks and African Migrants Speak Out [Videos] - February 17, 2022
- Judge Cahill’s No-Knock Warrant Led to MPD Execution of Amir Locke - February 8, 2022
- Caravan for George Floyd as Federal Trial Begins for Officers Lane, Kueng, and Thao - January 22, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: The Deep Roots of Racism in Germany [Video] - October 11, 2021
- Minneapolis Pushes Activists to Their Limits - July 22, 2021
- Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Sentenced to 22.5 Years for George Floyd Murder - June 25, 2021
- Community Gathers at George Floyd Square After City Removes Concrete Barriers - June 3, 2021
- The State’s Conviction of Chauvin Upholds the System’s ‘Innocence’ - April 25, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty in Murder of George Floyd - April 22, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial Coverage Landing Page - 2021
- George Floyd Square Celebrates Malcolm X - March 2, 2021
- Jay Kolls: False Reporting From George Floyd Square to D.C. - January 23, 2021
- Minneapolis Police Violently Assault Man Yards From George Floyd Memorial - December 23, 2020
- Behind the Law Enforcement Response to the George Floyd Uprising – Pt 1: Munitions Delivery - December 3, 2020
- Pawn Shop Owner Faces No Charges in Killing Man, State Blames Protesters - November 8, 2020
- Feds Leverage Civil Disorder Charge Against George Floyd Protester - November 1, 2020
- Minneapolis Protest Art Collection Becomes Largest of its Kind - October 28, 2020
- Chauvin Has 3rd Degree Murder Charge Dropped, 2nd Degree Charges Upheld - October 23, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail, Dozens Arrested in Protest - October 7, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street" – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020