Minneapolis, MN – A new wave of unrest hit downtown Minneapolis after a man reportedly shot himself late on Wednesday afternoon near 8th and Nicollet Mall.
A city-wide curfew was in effect between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Emergency alerts went out around 10:50 p.m., almost an hour after the emergency curfew had been scheduled to begin.
As of Thursday, August 27, 132 arrests have taken place. The National Guard was activated by Governor Walz Wednesday evening.
Earlier in the evening on Wednesday, civic groups and organizers showed those gathered what was said to be evidence that the police did not directly shoot the now-deceased individual.
Among the hundreds of people downtown, some small spontaneously-formed groups removed goods from stores such as Foot Locker and Saks Fifth Avenue. Target, Walgreens, Nordstrom’s, and other sites also received damage amid an increasingly-tense political situation.
Police used heavy pepper spray repression tactics around Foot Locker, which intensified the rage of community members on the streets.
Around 10 p.m. it was reported that Mayor Jacob Frey had called an immediate curfew for the city as well as requested National Guard personnel. Governor Tim Walz posted to Twitter that the Minnesota State Patrol has been deployed.
Unicorn Riot was live downtown Wednesday night, interviewing participants and organizers amid the unrest.
A large wave of possible gunfire or other incendiaries around 10:15 p.m. sent the crowd fleeing. Police made a rush near Hen House with live service weapons brandished.
Around midnight Minneapolis police were seen rolling through city streets with their rifles drawn.
In scenes reminiscent of the #GeorgeFloyd uprising, police are riding thru south side Minneapolis neighborhoods with officers with rifles hanging out the back of their truck. pic.twitter.com/KMynSZLItA— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) August 27, 2020
One of the city’s Walgreens outlets in South Minneapolis was set ablaze, not far from George Floyd Memorial Square.
#Minneapolis unrest continues – at least 6 fire trucks at the burning Walgreens on Chicago Ave and 43rd St, 4 blocks from the south barricades of #GeorgeFloyd memorial square.https://t.co/IpVHUREYX5 pic.twitter.com/I3px2wAUBb— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) August 27, 2020
The unrest is taking place as rioting and protests have intensified in Kenosha, Wisconsin, after the police shooting of Jacob Blake, and no arrests have taken place regarding the police who shot and killed Breonna Taylor earlier this year.
Earlier in the evening on Wednesday, August 26, Unicorn Riot covered a march for Lionel Lewis, a father killed after a police interaction in Northern Minnesota almost twenty years ago. His daughter Mia had dedicated her birthday to her father, organized the memorial event on that day.
That same day Unicorn Riot released an interview with two youths who had been detained in an arrest wave the evening of Monday, August 24. The targeted arrests took place following a demonstration at the Hennepin County Government Center in solidarity with Jacob Blake protesters in Kenosha.
Watch our live stream from the August 24 Justice for Jacob Blake event:
This is a breaking news story from Minneapolis, MN. Unicorn Riot will continue to provide updates as they are received.
Updated August 27 at 6:00 p.m.: an earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the August curfew began at 11:00 p.m. Though the curfew began at 10 p.m., emergency alerts did not go out until nearly 11:00 p.m.
Unicorn Riot's George Floyd Coverage:
- George Floyd Uprising – Reporter Reflection [5 Episode Series] - Fall 2020
- Beyond the Barricades: A Look At George Floyd Square [Mini-Doc - March 2021]
- Fourth Killer of George Floyd Found Guilty - May 3, 2023
- Two Years After George Floyd - May 27, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: Afro-Greeks and African Migrants Speak Out [Videos] - February 17, 2022
- Judge Cahill’s No-Knock Warrant Led to MPD Execution of Amir Locke - February 8, 2022
- Caravan for George Floyd as Federal Trial Begins for Officers Lane, Kueng, and Thao - January 22, 2022
- One Year After George Floyd in Europe: The Deep Roots of Racism in Germany [Video] - October 11, 2021
- Minneapolis Pushes Activists to Their Limits - July 22, 2021
- Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Sentenced to 22.5 Years for George Floyd Murder - June 25, 2021
- Community Gathers at George Floyd Square After City Removes Concrete Barriers - June 3, 2021
- The State’s Conviction of Chauvin Upholds the System’s ‘Innocence’ - April 25, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty in Murder of George Floyd - April 22, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial Coverage Landing Page - 2021
- George Floyd Square Celebrates Malcolm X - March 2, 2021
- Jay Kolls: False Reporting From George Floyd Square to D.C. - January 23, 2021
- Minneapolis Police Violently Assault Man Yards From George Floyd Memorial - December 23, 2020
- Behind the Law Enforcement Response to the George Floyd Uprising – Pt 1: Munitions Delivery - December 3, 2020
- Pawn Shop Owner Faces No Charges in Killing Man, State Blames Protesters - November 8, 2020
- Feds Leverage Civil Disorder Charge Against George Floyd Protester - November 1, 2020
- Minneapolis Protest Art Collection Becomes Largest of its Kind - October 28, 2020
- Chauvin Has 3rd Degree Murder Charge Dropped, 2nd Degree Charges Upheld - October 23, 2020
- Youth Lead March After Ex-Cop Charged in Floyd’s Murder Bailed Out - October 14, 2020
- Ex-Cop Charged in George Floyd Murder Out On $1M Bail, Dozens Arrested in Protest - October 7, 2020
- Pretrial Begins: County Attorney Freeman Pulled from George Floyd Police Prosecutions - September 14, 2020
- “No Justice, No Street" – Community Makes Demands, Eviction of George Floyd Memorial Square Delayed - August 17, 2020
- George Floyd Uprising in Minneapolis–Saint Paul — The First Two Weeks - June 14, 2020
- Denver Police Served Temporary Restraining Order Amid Nationwide Protest Repression - June 11, 2020
- Nine Council Members Vow to Disband Minneapolis Police - June 10, 2020
- Rally and March to Defund MPD after George Floyd: Day 12 - June 6, 2020
- George Floyd Memorial Service in Minneapolis - June 4, 2020
- Action at WCCO to End Media Bias Against Victims of Police Violence: Day 9 - June 3, 2020
- Owner Assaulted by Troopers While Protecting His Business - June 2, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 7 - June 1, 2020
- New Footage Reveals Moments Before George Floyd’s Death - May 30, 2020
- Twin Cities Protest Death of George Floyd: Day 3 - May 28, 2020
- Minneapolis Protests Police Murder of George Floyd: Day 2 - May 27, 2020
- Minneapolis Police Murder Handcuffed Man With Neck-Kneel - May 26, 2020